Ugorski RTÉ NSO/Minczuk

Seán

Ugorski RTÉ NSO/Minczuk

Post by Seán »

This review was published in today's Irish Times:
MICHAEL DERVAN

NCH, Dublin: Osvaldo Golijov — Last Round; Barber — Violin Concerto; Mahler — Symphony No 1.

Osvaldo Golijov’s 1996 Last Round was written as a tribute to his fellow-countryman, the Argentinian composer and bandoneon-player, Astor Piazzolla. He began it in 1991 after hearing of Piazzolla’s stroke, but didn’t actually finish it until 1996, four years after the great tango-king died.

It made a strange opener to the RTÉ National Symphony Orchestra’s concert, when Brazilian conductor Roberto Minczuk opted to perform the piece as a chamber work with nine players – two string quartets, separated by a double bass – rather than with the full orchestral strings.

The effect was slightly odd, as if Golijov had written a cut-down orchestral piece rather than a beefy chamber work. The music’s grinding, stomping build-ups didn’t quite come off, and the flash and panache weren’t quite on target. The orchestra’s first centenary tribute to American composer Samuel Barber (1910-81) came in a beautifully controlled performance of the 1939 Violin Concerto by St Petersburg-born Eugene Ugorski, a protégé of Valery Gergiev.

Ugorski gave a finely-balanced account of this romantically-inclined work, keeping the music sweet but not sentimental, and the general restraint of his manner, happily, was matched by Minczuk. Ugorski’s weakest moment came when he went over-the-top by laying so heavily into the big tune of the slow movement. But he showed spunk aplenty in the right way in the wild, skittering dance of the finale.

Minczuk’s approach to Mahler’s First Symphony was on the lines of the child in the proverbial toy shop. He gloried in its every effect, from the haunting high whistles of the nature picture opening, through the seductive swooning of the second movement, the grotesque funeral march of the third, and the screaming violence that cuts through the finale. If that sounds like a recipe for cheap thrills, that’s not actually how it came across on Friday. Minczuk’s approach, buttressed by strong playing from the orchestra, was not only gorgeous from moment to moment, but cogently exciting and excitingly cogent, too.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Ciaran

Concert annoyances

Post by Ciaran »

At this excellent concert I became aware of a concert nuisance new to me. I had an empty seat (for which I had paid!) to my right and beyond that there was what looked like a grizzled new ager. On his left wrist he was wearing a bracelet of amber beads and a circa 1990-style plastic digital watch (amazing how dated they look now!). During quiet parts of the music I became aware of an insistent but not very loud high-pitched sound coming from my right. It reminded me of the sound my mobile phone charger makes, which my wife cannot hear: it's above her hearing range. I had the suspicion that it was coming from the elderly digital watch, and that, if that were the case then the wearer couldn't hear it as he had his left hand against his head a lot of the time, so the watch was very close to his ear.

After the interval he didn't come back, and neither did the noise, so I was able to enjoy the Mahler unsoured by the whine of his watch.
fergus

Re: Ugorski RTÉ NSO/Minczuk

Post by fergus »

Now I fully understand exactly why you have ended up with the system that you own!!!!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Seán

Re: Ugorski RTÉ NSO/Minczuk

Post by Seán »

The M1 was one of the most enjoyable concerts that I have attended. It shall linger long in the memory.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler