Test Tracks-System Breakers and Makers-The Ultimate Testers

nige2000

Test Tracks-System Breakers and Makers-The Ultimate Testers

Post by nige2000 »

Just looking for advise in tracks suitable for system testing and why if possible,
hopefully interesting for others too

ill start the ball rolling
American IV: The Man Comes Around
Cash's raspy voice seems to be difficult sound accurate and along with the reverb of acoustic guitar makes great testers
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
sima66

Re: Test Tracks-System Breakers and Makers-The Ultimate Test

Post by sima66 »

nige2000 wrote:Just looking for advise in tracks suitable for system testing and why if possible,

Cash's raspy voice seems to be difficult sound accurate and along with the reverb of acoustic guitar makes great testers
That's one of my most favourite CD's.

Track #1. (When the man comes around) it can easily create a "system crash".
Track #12. (I'm so lonesome I could cry) I like to use for the voice and small details.
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
4SteinHarmonizers;RR777;Tellus;StillpointsUltraSS
JAW

Post by JAW »

The Man with the Child in his Eyes on the Kick Inside by Kate Bush. There's a lot of low level bass that can overpower everything else on a badly balanced system, and Kate's voice is a test for any system. Also, I've been using this as a test track for years so I've heard it on countless systems and know how good and bad it can sound. I think familiarity is important on any test track.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

JAW wrote:The Man with the Child in his Eyes on the Kick Inside by Kate Bush. There's a lot of low level bass that can overpower everything else on a badly balanced system, and Kate's voice is a test for any system. Also, I've been using this as a test track for years so I've heard it on countless systems and know how good and bad it can sound. I think familiarity is important on any test track.
thnx wasnt aware of this track, unfortunately i was stupid enough to play it from youtube on my laptop, that was pretty haunting

it really really is very challenging, the levels of separation and clarity required is astounding
a real piece of system kryptonite
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

sima66 wrote:
nige2000 wrote:Just looking for advise in tracks suitable for system testing and why if possible,

That's one of my most favourite CD's.

Track #1. (When the man comes around) it can easily create a "system crash".
Track #12. (I'm so lonesome I could cry) I like to use for the voice and small details.
thnx Adam

what else do you use?
Modest

Post by Modest »

Love to blast systems with http://grooveshark.com/#!/search/song?q ... ontinentes
Very hard on dynamics,detail and separation, also speed (ending up in potato mash) :)
ohhh didn't mention the album Image
2012 R2 server/JK 32DAC/Audio Innovations L2 preamp/Audio Innovations 800MK3 power/Impulse H2 horn speakers /Linn LP12 ,ittok lvii/Linn Linto/Linn Lingo2 /Avid,Inakustik,Acrotec cables
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Modest wrote:Love to blast systems with http://grooveshark.com/#!/search/song?q ... ontinentes
Very hard on dynamics,detail and separation, also speed (ending up in potato mash) :)
boy oh boy my system is sweating
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

nige2000 wrote:
Modest wrote:Love to blast systems with http://grooveshark.com/#!/search/song?q ... ontinentes
boy oh boy my system is sweating

??
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

JAW wrote: I think familiarity is important on any test track.

I agree 100%, obviously you'll want high and low frequencies too but that's of no use whatsoever if you haven't heard the piece of music many many times before. Otherwise where's the comparison? My favourite test disc are ones I knew well from the 1970s, I love to hear something new in there.
I think it's important as well to use mostly real instruments. The sound of a plectrum or a bow on a string, the snap of a snare drum, the resonance of a bass or floor tom drum. Does the cymbal sound metallic? Can you heard the reeds in a wind instrument? (do you want to?)

You need well recorded female and male vocals across the ranges, sparse acoustic recordings, dense orchestral works, piano for scale and to test percussion as much as timbre. Double bass, cello, electric bass and organ - both church and Hammond B3. This is a bit of a favourite topic of mine....

Above all, it's must be very familiar.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

What HiFi has published a "6 of the best albums to test your system" list...

It is, at the very least, interesting.

http://www.whathifi.com/news/6-best-alb ... 4jYQPgQ.99
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable