BBC R3: OAE/Vladimir Jurowski and Beethoven's Symphonies

Seán

BBC R3: OAE/Vladimir Jurowski and Beethoven's Symphonies

Post by Seán »

I don't know how much interest there is in these posts, not a lot I expect. Anyway this new Beethoven cycle does appeal to me and may be of interest to period instriment lovers on this site. If you are interested I will keep this thread up to date with the next series of concerts:
Broadcast
Wed 10 Feb 2010 19:00 BBC Radio 3

Presented by Catherine Bott

Performance on 3 continues its informal focus on the works of Beethoven with the start of a landmark cycle of the composer's symphonies performed by leading period instrument group The Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment. They begin their cycle with symphonies no.4, one of the composer's most underrated yet dramatic and no.7 one of the most popular and a reflection of the time in which it was written during the Napoleonic Wars. They are conducted by Vladimir Jurowski with whom the orchestra have a close relationship developed in both opera house and concert hall, one of four conductors with whom they'll work on the complete cycle over the next few months.

Each symphony in this cycle is prefaced with episodes from the life of the composer read by newsreader and Beethoven biographer, John Suchet adapted from his fictionalised life of the composer "The Last Master".

Beethoven - Symphony no.4 in Bb major op.60
Beethoven - Symphony no.7 in A op.92

Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment
Vladimir Jurowski (conductor)
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
DaveF

Re: BBC R3: OAE/Vladimir Jurowski and Beethoven's Symphonies

Post by DaveF »

Thanks for the post Sean. I have several recordings by the Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment and I rate them all highly so the above would certainly be of interest.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
fergus

Post by fergus »

A second thank you for the heads up, Seán.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

I listened in this evening, Seán, and I was very impressed. The playing was excellent; a bright, brisk, alert performance with clean, clear textures....most enjoyable so thanks again for the notification.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:I listened in this evening, Seán, and I was very impressed. The playing was excellent; a bright, brisk, alert performance with clean, clear textures....most enjoyable so thanks again for the notification.
My pleasure, I really enjoyed it too. I couldn't help but compare it to the Bruggen all the way through. I am looking forward to the next concert in the series.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler