MQN

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
sbgk

Re: MQN

Post by sbgk »

erin wrote:With the latest version I can report so far, there is a very silent background...
and foreground. LOL :)

Some kind person please tell me what I've done wrong, because I get no sound.

I have:

Used my existing working musicplayer folder and simply replaced mqncontrol.exe with mqncontrol.exe 3.84 normal (and deleted the text "3.84 normal") and replaced mqnplay with mqnplay1644.exe 24 bit 8.97 normal seb (and deleted the text "24 bit 8.97 normal seb")

when I run mqn.bat it opens the dos box, shows the song I copied, but then the dos box closes.

Thank you
it's device specific, so needs to be built for your device.
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

Aleg wrote:
sbgk wrote:think 8.97/3.84 was a bust, bass compromised. spotted what was wrong with 8.96

uploaded 8.98 avx2 dev gk, play with control 3.83

uploaded aa and aleg versions, this has got to be close to the end

3.85/8.99 is a bit sweeter, think that'll be it if people agree

Prefer play 8.99 to 8.97

Have a very strong preference of control 3.83 over 3.85.
Control 3.85 is a soft focus version while control 3.83 has clarity and authority of sound.
Control 3.83 gives experience of a true instrument in the room.
Control 3.85 is a soft focus sweetened recording and imho does not come close to a true live instrument experience.

So my current combi is control 3.83 / play 8.99

----------

Back to the combi control 3.83 / play 8.97

3.83/3.99 is not good in the very high notes , a lot of brushing on cymbals becomes a sharpish and mingled sound.
yes, but 8.97 is not very good with the bass notes
cvrle59

Post by cvrle59 »

cvrle59 wrote:Listening 3.85/8.99 right now...amazing!
I haven't compared the versions, I just installed this combo, and I played a few albums. It reminds me to my long time favorite 5.14, but at different level. I wouldn't say the best version, but very musical, and enjoyable.
i3 Haswell, PPAStudio USB3 card and USB Micro cable/Chord Hugo/Nad-275BEE/Harbeth-30.1
erin

Post by erin »

sbgk wrote:
it's device specific, so needs to be built for your device.
Oh!

Well I haven't been here for a while. I'm taken aback by this revelation.
I'm left confused by why you have gone down this path. Doesn't this alienate majority of users?

I've got a Juil@ soundcard.
Intel Celeron G530

What new version can I use, and will it compare favorably to these latest whiz bang versions people are raving about?

thanks
There is only so much cake in the world!
When the greedy people want to have more than their fair share, then there is less cake for everyone else.
Buy locally.
Build locally.
Grow locally.
Share locally.
Results in a fair slice of the cake for everyone.
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

erin wrote:With the latest version I can report so far, there is a very silent background...
and foreground. LOL :)

Some kind person please tell me what I've done wrong, because I get no sound.

I have:

Used my existing working musicplayer folder and simply replaced mqncontrol.exe with mqncontrol.exe 3.84 normal (and deleted the text "3.84 normal") and replaced mqnplay with mqnplay1644.exe 24 bit 8.97 normal seb (and deleted the text "24 bit 8.97 normal seb")

when I run mqn.bat it opens the dos box, shows the song I copied, but then the dos box closes.

Thank you
Erin

The latest versions are development versions that have been created specifically for one device.
The one you have used was created for sebna, but seb also had problems with it so maybe seb has given a wrong device and/or pin number.
It will only work for you if you have exactly the same device id as seb. You can check you device id with the program mqndevinfo.exe.
So it is not a generally usable version but one specifically made for seb's device.

cheers

Aleg
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
jrling

Post by jrling »

sbgk wrote:
jrling wrote:Am I too late to the party with my tusb string (may work for the several other WaveIO users with v 0330 firmware) and on behalf of 'Normal' users -

\tusbaudio_enum#vid_20a0&pid_4143&ks#0330#{6994ad04-93ef-11d0-a3cc-00a0c9223196}\pcm_out_02_00

Hope not as the reports are so universally good.

Cheers
Jonathan
thought devinfo wasn't working

uploaded ji and 3.84 normal
You are right, mqndevinfo was and is not working.

Thanks to John Dot's posting about other (less good) players, I found that the Russian APlayer comes with a useful Config Utility giving all sorts of data about the KS stream, including the ID of the USB device playing.

How is it going with the auto device code?

Cheers
Jonathan
Maplin XM21X 12V float charging A123 26650 LiFePO4 battery/Maxwell Supercap PSU for Mitac PD10-BI J1900 Bay Trail, WTFPlay, Hiface Evo, Bow Technologies 1704 NOS DAC, StereoKnight TVC, Quad II monoblocks, ZU Audio Druid Mk4/Method Sub
sebna

Post by sebna »

That is useful info Jonathan :)

Cheers
i5@800mhz haswell, 16gb @800mhz, H87 mb with PPA TCXO, PPA V1 USB
no storage of any kind, SATA disabled in BIOS, RAMos, W2012 R2, AO 1.26, MQN
Teradak ATX LPSU 210W & 5v LPSU for clean 5v to DAC
Meitner MA-1, Primare Pre30 + A33.2, Zingali HM 2.10+
erin

Post by erin »

Aleg wrote:
Erin

The latest versions are development versions that have been created specifically for one device.
The one you have used was created for sebna, but seb also had problems with it so maybe seb has given a wrong device and/or pin number.
It will only work for you if you have exactly the same device id as seb. You can check you device id with the program mqndevinfo.exe.
So it is not a generally usable version but one specifically made for seb's device.

cheers

Aleg
Hi Aleg, I haven't been here for a long time so I didn't know. I just tried the latest version and hoped it would work.
I'm still very happy with the version I am using which is ancient. I don't know how it could be improved actually.

I use a Juil@ soundcard, or a tenor USB converter.

I kindly ask the question again, what is the latest "catch all" version that I can try?
Thanks
There is only so much cake in the world!
When the greedy people want to have more than their fair share, then there is less cake for everyone else.
Buy locally.
Build locally.
Grow locally.
Share locally.
Results in a fair slice of the cake for everyone.
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

erin wrote:
Aleg wrote:
Erin

cheers

Aleg
Hi Aleg, I haven't been here for a long time so I didn't know. I just tried the latest version and hoped it would work.
I'm still very happy with the version I am using which is ancient. I don't know how it could be improved actually.

I use a Juil@ soundcard, or a tenor USB converter.

I kindly ask the question again, what is the latest "catch all" version that I can try?
Thanks

Hi Erin

that would be "mqnplay1644.exe 24 bit 8.92 avx" or "mqnplay1644.exe 24 bit 8.92 normal"

You can try any of the lastest mqncontrol programs.
Do try those and see which you like best as there is quite a lot of difference in sound quality from these mqncontrol programs as well.

At one time Gordon tried a program with a fixed device-id in the code and noticed it sounded better than when selecting a sound device via the Operating System.
After that people asked for a version for their own device to experience it for themselves, and lo and behold it does make a huge difference.
These programs are recognisable by the addition to the program name of "dev" and a few initials of the user requesting them.
Other people can also use these if the device-id and pin number are the same as the one the user sent to Gordon.
Browsing back a little you can see which devices these were and what device-id it uses.
You can check your own device-id and pin number with the program mqndevice.exe

The devices that have a dedicated mqnplay now are:
- Amanero based dacs like Ciunas, and others
- SonicWeld Diver (like mine)
- RME FireFace DAC
- and maybe some more.

It is not the intention of Gordon to keep producing dedicated versions as that would become undoable, but he is still looking for a way to get the sound quality of a 'fixed device' version of mqn but getting that device-id somehow from outside of the program.
Lets keep our fingers crossed he manages to find a way.

The Juli@ card has not been mentioned before as most are using outboard DACs or USB-converters.

Cheers

Aleg
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
tony

Post by tony »

Really nice comprehensive history and guidance for you Erin from Aleg.

Trying out 8.99 well if this is the final version it is excellent as others have stated.
On my secondary system taut bass, really lovely detail that is in no way harsh but has
really nice solid depth. You have worked wonders with KS Gordon even Nigel should
be swayed from wasapi with this version or any of the recent ones.

On an i3 0% CPU usage registered when playing music. Some of the earlier and recent ones
were at 1% still tiny. If you get rid of anymore code MQn will not exist!
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.