MQN

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
Aleg

Re: MQN

Post by Aleg »

2channelaudio wrote:
Aleg wrote: I will try the emperor version as well sometime to see if my setup also likes a bit of jitter better. Though I find it hard to understand that more jitter would sound better than less jitter. I can hardly understand that DAC builders specifically build for a jittery signal?
Cheers

I think I could safely guess the outcome of your test.... ;)
Now then, I wouldn't say it is a forgone conclusion ;-)
You (and I) might be surprised.
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

Well, just tried the Emperor SQ instead of Infinity Blade SQ, again with 96/24 and I must say it doesn't behave any different than Infinity Blade SQ on my setup.

And again Mqn 9.12/4.25 is with a 44/16 version of the same track still much better.

So Gordon, please stick to the KS path with the minimalist approach.

I would summarize the difference in approach as follows:

- BHE: trying very, very hard to make it right.
- MQn: just get out of the way and don't make it wrong.
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
elaprince

Post by elaprince »

I came to same conclusion first time I try MQN
It is way ahead of any player out there
It is most analog player ever
BHE like you said "trying' but not same
It is player that will play everything (almost) but I am looking for that analog ,clear out the way player
Gordon please do not stop make it even better only you can do it
Thank you
2channelaudio

Post by 2channelaudio »

I agree, even the pre-haswell MQn versions are superior.

...... I think you have to agree there is something to be said for usability and an intuitive (even headless) interface (operation).. Convenience goes a long way, although Mqn is really not concerned with factors such as this....

Daphile would probably be a better solution than Bughead.... both from a sound quality and convenience point of view.
DJ le Roi

Post by DJ le Roi »

I hope someone can give me advice!

I bought a new Dac, an Audio GD NFB3.

With this Dac It is possible to replace the USB input by an I2S input. I am not sure what to do.

Because I cannot afford to buy an I2S bridge for my audio pc, the choice for me is between
an audio pc with a VERY GOOD program (MQN) in combination with a GOOD connection (USB).
or
a Raspberry Pi with a GOOD program (Picoreplayer, Runeaudio, Volumio) in combination with a VERY GOOD connection (I2S).

Any thoughts on this? Who can give me advice?
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

DJ le Roi wrote:I hope someone can give me advice!

With this Dac It is possible to replace the USB input by an I2S input. I am not sure what to do.

Because I cannot afford to buy an I2S bridge for my audio pc, the choice for me is between
an audio pc with a VERY GOOD program (MQN) in combination with a GOOD connection (USB).
or
a Raspberry Pi with a GOOD program (Picoreplayer, Runeaudio, Volumio) in combination with a VERY GOOD connection (I2S).

the ott audio pc with usb to i2s is still substantially better than say a pi/bbb with same i2s dac
however unoptimised pcs will not out preform
pi and bbb have jittery enough i2s and is best to reclock it

which usb to i2s chip is in your dac
im too lazy to look it up:)
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Clive

Post by Clive »

nige2000 wrote:

or

the ott audio pc with usb to i2s is still substantially better than say a pi/bbb with same i2s dac

How would a Pi 2B with Hifiberry digi+ into a decent DAC via opt/coax compare as a transport to an unoptimised laptop running MQn?
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Clive wrote:
nige2000 wrote:

or

How would a Pi 2B with Hifiberry digi+ into a decent DAC via opt/coax compare as a transport to an unoptimised laptop running MQn?
no idea
never tried anything remotely like that
the os and the player has a large influence though and im not much a fan of a long signal path/chain
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Clive

Post by Clive »

nige2000 wrote:
Clive wrote:
nige2000 wrote:

no idea
never tried anything remotely like that
the os and the player has a large influence though and im not much a fan of a long signal path/chain
Presumably an I2S connected DAC ideally should be installed as a daughter board as for a separate DAC connected via I2S, a few inches of cable is "long" for I2S?
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

kinda difficult to answer these type of questions
what level of sq is expected
sq degrades quite noticeably with i2s over 4 inches long id never go over that