Deryck Cooke analyses Mahler's 10th Symphony

Seán

Deryck Cooke analyses Mahler's 10th Symphony

Post by Seán »

The original BBC broadcast (19 December 1960) of the lecture/performance in which Deryck Cooke presented his first (incomplete) attempt at a 'performing version' of the draft of Mahler's unfinished Tenth Symphony.

"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
DonKC

Re: Deryck Cooke analyses Mahler's 10th Symphony

Post by DonKC »

I can not tell you how many times I have heard this or read the transcript (before the "miracle" of YouTube, when recordings of the broadcast were hard to get); it is essential for everyone who loves or is even curious about this work.

I believe that the 10th would have been a masterpiece in league with the 5th and 9th if Mahler had the time left to finish it. How popular it would have been is of course filled with the same conjecture. Possibly the darker tone and more "modernist" language would not be as popular among those enamored with the earlier symphonies. But of course, who knows? And there in is a great tale.

Cooke goes to great lengths to note that this is not a completion of the score but an "orchestral realization" of "Mahler's first, un-revised draft". Those who hold animosity towards Cooke for realizing this work miss this point. I, as do many, feel this is a totally legitimate endeavor and allows us a glimpse into this incredible music. It was almost lost (Bruno Walter wanted it destroyed!) and Alma hid it away for years. We are richer for it.

Think of looking at the ruins of Athens or Rome. They are flawed, incomplete and we have no access to the original builders to realize the missing details. Could it be that the Colosseum was not complete as planned and thus we have to tear it down or ignore it? Of course not. The 10th is a ruin of sorts but if we close our eyes, open our ears and let go of preconceived notions of Mahler's music there are rich rewards. Yes, the 2nd scherzo is a mess and the 1st not far behind, but the rest is absolutely brilliant and echt Mahler.

Testament has a 3 disc set including the lecture, the first studio with Goldschmidt/Philharmonia performance heard here and the August 6th, 1964 live premiere at a Proms concert with Goldschmidt and the LSO. The 1964 performance is a bit scrappy and tentative at places, but of course it was new to everyone involved, and is the only recorded premiere of a Mahler symphony. The excitement is palpable since all realize the importance of the event.

There are about 20 recordings of the whole work now. Sadly, some great Mahler conductors, Bernstein, Haitink and Solti namely, only recorded or performed the Adagio. We are poorer for not having a Bernstein version.

Ok... I will shut up, Seán knew this would get me going! Looking forward to other comments!
Seán

Post by Seán »

DonKC wrote:IOk... I will shut up, Seán knew this would get me going! Looking forward to other comments!
What a lovely post Don, thank you. When I started out on my Mahler odyssey some eight years ago I was urged by members on CMG not to overlook Mahler's Tenth Symphony and, as a result, I bought a sample of the recordings available at that time: Ormandy/PO (which is magnificent); Barshai/JDP ( very good indeed) and SSRattle/BPO (which is, well, typical Rattle, that is to say that it is dry, turgid and lifeless; this is quite an accomplishment in itself I suppose, given the magnificent score he had to work with and that he had an extraordinary ensemble of the calibre of the BPO at his disposal).

I, too, think it's a pity that the great Mahlerians: Solti, Bernstein, Kubelik and, most especially, Claudo Abbado did not want to record the entire symphony, though I can appreciate the reasons for their not wanting to do so. I know that some purists recoil in horror at the thought of Cooke finishing the Tenth but the music is great and that's all that matter.

What are members feelings about Cooke's work on the Tenth and what are your favourite recordings of the Tenth?
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
DonKC

Post by DonKC »

SS Rattle's (I love that, along with Simon Le Ratt) Bournemouth recording is actually slightly better than the BPO.

A Kubelik or Abbado 10 would have been wonderful too.

Favorites: Sanderling/SO Berlin Classics and Ormandy/Philadelphia. Both early, pioneering recordings full of excitement of the discovery of a new work.