What are they teaching Sound Engineers these days???

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
Smashey

What are they teaching Sound Engineers these days???

Post by Smashey »

I've seen a lot of press about CDs being released with heavy audio compression, and I've come to expect it on pop and dance releases. All being typically heavy on the trebble and lacking any real dynamic range. Thankfully I haven't come across any classical examples of this - not to say it doesn't happen.

That said I was hugely disapointed by the Mercury Prize winning "Sigh No More" by Mumford and Sons. Yes I'm sure we will tire of this 'Banjo Rock' genre as it gets overplayed on the radio. Meanwhile I was looking forward to the Island digital pressing currently selling for €8 in HMV.

IMD (imagine my dissapointment) when I heard the end result. Clean enough in midrange and upper registers, the bass is way, way too much. I suspect it has been mastered just for iTunes with absolutely no consideration for ordinary CD reproduction.

If any of you have this album I'd welcome comments, but to me it sounds like it has been purposely mixed to make MP3 playback sound better. Interestingly when listening to the two tracks I have downloaded from iTune the effect is much less marked.

Not sure if this is a mistake or lazyness but a worrying developement either way.

Has anyone heard the vinyl pressing??? :)