TV advice needed

For everything else..... try not to spill your drinks OK?
Sloop John B

TV advice needed

Post by Sloop John B »

Now with the soccer season upon us I think it's time to upgrade my 11 year old Loewe 32in CRT TV.
When I measure the full size of TV and screen it's about 40in so this is around the size I am looking for.
I have had a look at the Which? website and am now probably more confused than ever except that Samsung seem to make good TVs at the moment.
So what I think I know is
  1. I want a LED (or OLED)
  2. I don't want curved
  3. sound quality doesn't worry me as I'll tun the sound through a Naim SuperUniti
  4. I want my standard TV (UPC) to look good not just HD or UHD or super duper VUHD or whatever is the latest iteration
  5. I want a LAN port
  6. It will have to be smart, mainly Netflix, BBC player etc ( I have a WDTV which I can connect to it to get iplayer)
I don't think there are any small players left in this area similar to Cloney for hifi?

any suggestions for what I should get and where I should buy it?

Thanks

John

SJB
Adrian

Re: TV advice needed

Post by Adrian »

What about 4K?

Number of connections ie HDMI etc, you would want to be sure that you have it all planned out.

I did see a 79 inch LG Led TV in Munich recently, picture was stunning, a was the price at 8999 euro.

I've lost touch with TV specifications these days, not sure of the difference between UHD or 4K.

What connection is used for a 4k input anyway?

If you have a fast internet connection then 4k seems the way to go.
Let the Good Times Roll...................
HiFiFan

Post by HiFiFan »

I have a Sony 4K and the picture quality is fantastic. It does a great job on upscaling 720 or 1080 content and the 4K is just beautiful. Netflix, Hulu and many other apps are included. It actually failed within a few weeks of purchase but Sony replaced it with no hassle and the new one has been going for a number of months now with no issues. More connections than I can possibly use on it. Also supports mirroring and other stuff.
SonicTransporter Optical i9, Roon, opticalRendu, Sonore Signare LPSU, Chord DAVE, Merrill Audio Element 116 Monoblocs, Wilson Audio Sasha 2
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

I'm a little out of the loop on the latest TVs but I've found connectivity to the 'net or wireless to be very useful and I probably use USB connections more than anything. That said I do download TV programmes and movies a lot. I generally download to the PC and put that on a USB fob or external hard drive and plug it into the TV.

I think most TVs come with DNLA (see http://www.techradar.com/news/digital-h ... ow-1079015 ) these days and it's very handy for wireless connections.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

I bought a mid range Sony at about 500e and haven't looked back. I did not want a smart TV as they tend to be ridiculously locked down and went with an android TV box (100e) instead. The smart version of the same TV was 80e more so worth it I think.

There's a website somewhere that tells you the optimum seating distance for a given screen size and resolution.

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try