MQN

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
tony

Re: MQN

Post by tony »

elaprince wrote:+1
If you own Win Server 2012 R2 there is no point IMHO to try Win10
Win10 is inferior to Win Server
I think it would be beneficial for everyone here to try Win Server 2016 which is coming out hopefully next year
Preview already made available by Bill
I am i few weeks time I might do that myself (already have latest preview on hand)
Thanks
I wish I could drum up enthusiasm to embrace the new V's and possibly win2016 but I am very happy with the status quo at the moment
and the notion of having to try and get ramdisk and the new versions of MQn working which are only 16/44 drains the mind!
I am still using versions between 8.91 and 9.10 very happily and an older one for the 24/88 or odd 24/192 tracks.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

Just returned from holidays today.
A lot of new versions again.
Just listened to v93 which is generally accepted to be the new best, and it is wonderful indeed.
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

Aleg wrote:Just returned from holidays today.
Just listened to v93 which is generally accepted to be the new best, and it is wonderful indeed.
not tempted to get a regen Aleg ?

though think the player still matters even with one.

Once these devices evolve further I guess eventually the player won't matter.

Or maybe not, maybe there's something else at play.

had a go at multitrack, but didn't work, so maybe another try at the weekend.
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

sbgk wrote:
Aleg wrote:Just returned from holidays today.
not tempted to get a regen Aleg ?

though think the player still matters even with one.

Once these devices evolve further I guess eventually the player won't matter.

Or maybe not, maybe there's something else at play.

had a go at multitrack, but didn't work, so maybe another try at the weekend.
I have a Regen nowadays. It gives only a small improvement on my setup, but it is noticeable so I allowed it to stay. It is still on the supplied SMPS as I don't have a spare linear at the moment.

I find the effect of a player much bigger than these hardware modifications, so I suspect something else is still at work too.

Cheers
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Aleg wrote: I have a Regen nowadays. It gives only a small improvement on my setup, but it is noticeable so I allowed it to stay. It is still on the supplied SMPS as I don't have a spare linear at the moment.

I find the effect of a player much bigger than these hardware modifications, so I suspect something else is still at work too.

Cheers
You need to:
- use the solid USB adapter between Regen & DAC
- use a better PS
- final improvement is to power the USBhub chip & clock directly from a LiFePO4 battery (3.3V is the right voltage) - if you don;t need the 5V from the Regen

BTW, I suspect that the Regen & the Software player tweaks are addressing the same issues it's just that stopping crud from going out on the USB line is probably better than trying to remove it from the USB line at the receiver end
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

some people used wasapi mqn without connecting a usb dac and reported improvements. The Squeezebox touch could be tweaked so that the sq improved via it's spdif output, so it's not just a usb issue, though the regen was designed to handle the 8khz noise specific to usb.
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

sbgk wrote:some people used wasapi mqn without connecting a usb dac and reported improvements. The Squeezebox touch could be tweaked so that the sq improved via it's spdif output, so it's not just a usb issue, though the regen was designed to handle the 8khz noise specific to usb.
I think you misunderstand me, Gordon.
The Regen seems to address noise & crud on USB transmission line(not USB 8KHz packet noise, btw) at the receiving end
Software players seem to address noise & crud in the system at the transmitting end (irrespective of what transmission channel is being used)
As I said, it's probably better to stop noise & crud being mixed with signal data than trying to remove it after the mixing has happened. However, noise & crud can enter the cable along the transmission line & MQN or software players can't do anything about this but devices like Regen may be able to.

Does this clarify?
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

jkeny wrote:
sbgk wrote:some people used wasapi mqn without connecting a usb dac and reported improvements. The Squeezebox touch could be tweaked so that the sq improved via it's spdif output, so it's not just a usb issue, though the regen was designed to handle the 8khz noise specific to usb.
I think you misunderstand me, Gordon.
The Regen seems to address noise & crud on USB transmission line(not USB 8KHz packet noise, btw) at the receiving end
Software players seem to address noise & crud in the system at the transmitting end (irrespective of what transmission channel is being used)
As I said, it's probably better to stop noise & crud being mixed with signal data than trying to remove it after the mixing has happened. However, noise & crud can enter the cable along the transmission line & MQN or software players can't do anything about this but devices like Regen may be able to.

Does this clarify?
JS says it's 8khz packet noise http://uptoneaudio.com/pages/j-swenson-tech-corner

"What I have been finding in looking at DACs etc with USB inputs is that there is what I am calling "packet noise". This is bursts of noise caused by the USB receiver processing the packets of data. This noise shows up on both power and ground planes. Since the rate of packets is 8KHz there are strong components of this noise in the audio band. This noise can cause jitter in clock oscillators, reclocking flops, and DAC chips. It can also go directly into noise on the output of DAC chips. "

my point was that there might be something other than noise at play.

would be interesting to have an mqn version that reduces the treble and see if the regen can recover it.
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

sbgk wrote: JS says it's 8khz packet noise http://uptoneaudio.com/pages/j-swenson-tech-corner

"What I have been finding in looking at DACs etc with USB inputs is that there is what I am calling "packet noise". This is bursts of noise caused by the USB receiver processing the packets of data. This noise shows up on both power and ground planes. Since the rate of packets is 8KHz there are strong components of this noise in the audio band. This noise can cause jitter in clock oscillators, reclocking flops, and DAC chips. It can also go directly into noise on the output of DAC chips. "
He goes on to say
"This packet noise consists of two parts: noise from the USB protocol engine and from the USB PHY. The protocol engine noise does not depend on the input signal quality, just the data, so its impact is always going to be the same no matter what is done with the input. The PHY is the part that actually connects to the electrical signals on the bus, ITS contribution to packet noise IS dependent on the quality of the input signal. This is the part the REGEN targets."

Now the noise from the protocol engine (8KHz noise spike) is what the Regen DOES NOT address - the noise from the USB PHY is what it does address.

However, John Westlake disagrees with the mechanism JS describes so it remains to be seen.
my point was that there might be something other than noise at play.
It can only be timing or noise - ultimately they are both the same & interchangeable
would be interesting to have an mqn version that reduces the treble and see if the regen can recover it.
[/quote]Don't know what you mean?
www.Ciunas.biz
2channelaudio

Post by 2channelaudio »

Sorry to jump off topic,
I have been out of the MQN loop for sometime. Just checking in sporadically.

Without trolling through hundreds of pages of posts, can someone please let me know if my processor will play current MQNs.
If not which version set would be the last workable with my system.

My CPU appears to process AVX, but not AVX2.

Heres a link to the intel data on my CPU...
http://ark.intel.com/products/52224/Int ... o-2_90-GHz

Any assistance would be appreciated.
Steve