Seán

Re: What are you listening two?

Post by Seán »

Jose Echenique wrote:
Seán wrote:Image

Franz Xaver Richter
Seven string quartets op. 5

Casal Quartett

This is marvellous music, beautifully played, highly recommended.
It didn´t disappoint, right Seán?
No, it most certainly did not. Thanks for the splendid recommendation Pepe.
Excellent quartets formidably played by what is probably the true heir period quartet of the Mosaïques.
A wonderful and astute comparison may I say.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Enjoyed The Great Composers and their Music.......Wagner....The Ring (Operatic Highlights).

Currently playing is .... The Great Composers & their Music.... Richard Strauss... Der Rosenkavalier (Operatic Highlights).

No image available...

Sounds better with Dolby off too!!
Let the Good Times Roll...................
Seán

Post by Seán »

I have just finished listening to Record Review and this is truly marvellous:
11.40am Disc of the Week

BACH, J S: Mass in B minor, BWV232
Hannah Morrison (soprano), Esther Brazil (mezzo), Meg Bragle (alto), Kate Symonds-Joy (alto), Peter Davoren (tenor), Nick Pritchard (tenor), Alex Ashworth (bass), David Shipley (bass), Monteverdi Choir, English Baroque Soloists, John Eliot Gardiner (conductor)
SDG SDG722 (2CD mid-price)

Carlos Kleiber with the VPO retains the first preference position:
9.30am Building a Library

Nicholas Baragwanath compares recordings of Beethoven's Symphony No.5 and makes a personal recommendation.

For next week's Buiding a Library, Ivan Hewitt surveys recordings of music by Henri Dutilleux.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

How does that B minor Mass compare to JEG's recording from the 80s, I wonder? (I assume it's a different set, right?)
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Seán

Post by Seán »

Diapason wrote:How does that B minor Mass compare to JEG's recording from the 80s, I wonder? (I assume it's a different set, right?)
It is very different. I am sorry but I don't have both copies to compare and contrast. The new version is magnificent.
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Just listened to the opening Kyrie on Spotify on my phone and it sounded top. I might need to pick that up. Thanks Sean.
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

When Gardiner recorded the Mass in the 80´s it almost overnight became the standard version. The new one will also become the yardstick against which all others will be measured. The choral and orchestral quality is sublime. But, there´s always a but, now Gardiner uses chorus members for the solo parts, and inevitably they can´t compete with top drawer soloists in other versions. For example Andreas Scholl in the Agnus Dei in Herreweghe´s Harmonia Mundi version, or Hana Blaziková in the first soprano part in the Collegium 1704 version.
But all in all the new Gardiner is a landmark.
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

I'm so used to the Parrott recording that when I hear full choruses rather than OVPP it still freaks me out a little bit. Of course, JEG always gets a lightness of movement from His choirs that staves off any potential ponderousness. I haven't listened to this music in ages, but I bought the earlier Gardiner without really ever getting round to digesting it. Definitely think I need to get this one too.
Seán

Post by Seán »

I just couldn't resist listening to this glorious rendition of the Mass in B minor::

Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

Seán wrote:I just couldn't resist listening to this glorious rendition of the Mass in B minor::

That´s the second of Herreweghe´s 3 recordings of the Mass.