Suzuki and Bach Collegium Japan at the NCH

Diapason

Suzuki and Bach Collegium Japan at the NCH

Post by Diapason »

What a magnificent account of the B minor mass we heard from Bach Collegium Japan under Masaaki Suzuki last night! I almost didn't go for reasons I can't comprehend now, but I'm thoroughly delighted that I did. Suzuki sometimes has a reputation for a cold, clinical approach to Bach, but it wasn't in evidence at all last night (IMO, of course). Warm, flowing, detailed, compelling, everything assured and in control, but exciting too. In an evening of highlights, Robin Blaze's "Agnus Dei" was ethereal.

I spotted a certain Fergus there, although I didn't manage to catch him at the interval or after the concert. Was anyone else in attendance?
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Seán

Re: Suzuki and Bach Collegium Japan at the NCH

Post by Seán »

Hi Simon, I am delighted you enjoyed it. I thought about going but thought I better not as I have always found Suzuki's approach too clinical and sterile, but that's me.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

I think you would have enjoyed this, Sean, I didn't think it was sterile in the least. Next time maybe!
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Seán wrote:I have always found Suzuki's approach too clinical and sterile, but that's me.
Actually, could we tease this out a little bit, Seán, because I'm interested. Is it a question of contrast? A question of dynamics? What does Gardiner, say, offer that Suzuki lacks?

The reason I ask is that when I say I didn't find it sterile in the least, maybe I'm on a different page with this stuff. I'd be interested in your thoughts anyway.
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

I was very disappointed not to have been able to go. I love the Suzuki series, I have most of his records of the choral works, in fact I just got Volume 6 of the Secular Cantatas today. It includes Tilge, Höchster, meine Sünden, BWV 1083, Bach's arrangement of Pergolesi's Stabat Mater, which I heard on Radio 3 last Saturday, it sounded ravishing. I certainly don't find him sterile.