I need some help with choosing the headphones

Darek

I need some help with choosing the headphones

Post by Darek »

As per title I'm looking for headphones (no experience in this direction at all). I have try few sets already and the best what I heard was the Sennheiser HD 650 but still I wasn’t very impressed.
Guys any experience with AKG 701 or 702 ?? any different suggestions?
Please mind the costs, for me it is only option to listening music late in night and for gaming as well.
Thanks in advance D.
Fitzgeme

Re: I need some help with choosing the headphones

Post by Fitzgeme »

I am selling a set of hd800 one of the best, see the classifieds section. Some negotiation possible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Darek

Post by Darek »

Thanks for that but they are way over my budget :)
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

The k701 are great headphones, but beware that they need a good amp to sound their best. HD650 are easier to drive with a broader range of amps (eg they tend to sound better with chinese valve headphone amps) and HD800 are better again, although the price is higher.

The daddy of them all imho is still stax - if you can root around and get a set at a reasonable price that is what I would go for. Bear in mind that all of the above are open - so others in the room will hear the sound.

My suggestion: Older Stax secondhand, HD650/800 as budget allows and build yourself a good headphone amp.
Do or do not, there is no try
tony

Post by tony »

Following on from what Fran advises I have K701's and at the moment a chinese amp! Little Dot Mkiii maybe you would like to borrow for awhile and see how it works for you. It will give you a flavour of what to expect. I had a Cayin Ha-1A that I loved but when I needed to release funds as I found I just wasn't using it any more it went up on the forum. It has done the rounds here not exactly sure who has it now think it might be Fergus:) but a few people had it for awhile and I think it is great amp.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Darek

Post by Darek »

Fran Thank you for the advice I definitely like to try the 800 one day but I'm not really ready (mentally ) to spend ~1k for headphones.
I like to try the Stax one day but I don't know anybody who have them.

Tony it is very kind and I be delighted if I can try the 701, I do have the Musical Fidelity tube phono amp and as well my CD player is equipped with phono out.
Please tell me when we can meet.
Just in case my phone is 0860449924

D.
tony

Post by tony »

Ok Darek will give you a text or call during the week and we can arrange something. If you are baulking at HD800(Don't blame you!) the Audeze phones are probably out also. I think they are the nicest ones I have heard, the AKG's are clean and detailed and some find this too clinical. The little Dot does not handle them as well as the Cayin which in my opinion where fabulous with them. Personally I found the HD650's too bassy and bloated. I tried out Fran's Stax set at one point(they are ancient) and they are really nice. Definitely reckon Stax are the dogs bxxllxx for headphone listening but can't justify them, well at least at the moment!
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
sebna

Post by sebna »

If I would be buying headphone it would have to be one from LCD family :) Was very impressed by them but they are not cheap and also power hungry.
i5@800mhz haswell, 16gb @800mhz, H87 mb with PPA TCXO, PPA V1 USB
no storage of any kind, SATA disabled in BIOS, RAMos, W2012 R2, AO 1.26, MQN
Teradak ATX LPSU 210W & 5v LPSU for clean 5v to DAC
Meitner MA-1, Primare Pre30 + A33.2, Zingali HM 2.10+
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Darek wrote:Fran Thank you for the advice I definitely like to try the 800 one day but I'm not really ready (mentally ) to spend ~1k for headphones.
I like to try the Stax one day but I don't know anybody who have them.
Darek, knowing your taste in speakers I don't think Stax are for you - but they are well worth trying. Think ESL s on your ears!
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
panda2rom

Post by panda2rom »

If, you would fancy to go vintage, i can recommand the Pioneer Monitor 10 (that you could come and listen).

Also of legendary status is the AKG K-240 (and K-240 sextet). Not the new edition of course :)

Do you have an amp for headsets ?

cheers,