Tda1387....... the older the fiddle the sweeter the tune

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
jkeny

Re: Tda1387....... the older the fiddle the sweeter the tun

Post by jkeny »

nige2000 wrote:oh btw put a potato 74374 to reclock on it too, much bigger improvement here than on soekris !
not surprising - isn't the reclocking on the Soekris not as direct
How much of sonic gap now between Soekris & 1387?
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

jkeny wrote:
nige2000 wrote:oh btw put a potato 74374 to reclock on it too, much bigger improvement here than on soekris !
not surprising - isn't the reclocking on the Soekris not as direct
yes this is far more direct, and obviously benefits much more,
the soekris reclocks again via fpga im more astounded how reclocking pre soekris still has a prefound effect even down to the choice of flip flop
How much of sonic gap now between Soekris & 1387?
dunno i have them in different systems atm, i wouldnt like to guess
however the tda1387 is extremely susceptible to ps and the quality of the i2s
with the new xmos usb to i2s chip, the potato ff and been powered by lifepo4 i think its starting to reveal what is possible
the tda1387 sounds much more like the soekris than it would a sigma delta
im trying to shoe horn one into a box for Saturday

i wont have the output transformers unfortunately, will have to do them in the new yr,
unless i think there a flop of course
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
wushuliu

Post by wushuliu »

Fun stuff. FYI Thanks to a post by jean paul at diyaudio I bought two of the Taiwan 1997 TDA1541 chips being sold by ECdesigns a few weeks back. Don't know if any are left. Not all that cheap, but at least they are guaranteed unused and original. Won't be doing anything with them for a long time though.

https://www.ecdesigns.nl/parts.html
Eclipse W6520R/Satori TW29R MTM
Hifime Es9038Pro
3eaudio TPA3251
abraxalito

Post by abraxalito »

nige2000 wrote: however the tda1387 is extremely susceptible to ps and the quality of the i2s
In passive I/V the TDA1387 is always going to be ps sensitive, due to the 'pull-up' current source internally. That's why I ended up using hundreds of thousands of uF on my earlier DAC designs. Active I/V solves the ps sensitivity to my satisfaction, discrete being top of the pile for active I/Vs.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

abraxalito wrote:
nige2000 wrote: however the tda1387 is extremely susceptible to ps and the quality of the i2s
In passive I/V the TDA1387 is always going to be ps sensitive, due to the 'pull-up' current source internally. That's why I ended up using hundreds of thousands of uF on my earlier DAC designs. Active I/V solves the ps sensitivity to my satisfaction, discrete being top of the pile for active I/Vs.
Ah right
I will try the active I/v me thinks
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's