Best way to make good USB cable

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
sima66

Best way to make good USB cable

Post by sima66 »

I remember a while ago that was a bit of discussion between Nigel and JKeny about the "dark secrets" of making good USB cables! :)

Any thoughts on what wire to use, thickness, spacing, isulating.......?
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
4SteinHarmonizers;RR777;Tellus;StillpointsUltraSS
nige2000

Re: Best way to make good USB cable

Post by nige2000 »

i used this method
http://www.venhaus1.com/diysilverinterconnects.html

used 10mm cotton rope instead of teflon tube, and silk covered silver something like 0.4mm
spiralled 3 wires around the rope
teflon tape over the rope aand again over the wire and then shielded with copper braid only grounded on pc side
and run power separately

there may be better methods but this worked pretty good for me
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
sima66

Post by sima66 »

here is a rough description of the build of Locus Cynosure v2:

http://www.soundroof.com/page.php?tmp=c ... -usb-cable

The first model of Cynosure was, and still is, my dream USB cable.....since it cost $3000 USD for 3 feet!
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
sima66

Post by sima66 »

nige2000 wrote:i used this method

used 10mm cotton rope instead of teflon tube, and silk covered silver something like 0.4mm
teflon tape over the rope aand again over the wire and then shielded with copper braid only grounded on pc side
and run power separately

When you grounded the copper braid, did you just attached to the metal body of the usb connector, or to the actual ground wire?
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

sima66 wrote:

and run power separately

When you grounded the copper braid, did you just attached to the metal body of the usb connector, or to the actual ground wire?
shield gnd not signal gnd
which ironically is the same thing
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
sima66

Post by sima66 »

nige2000 wrote:
sima66 wrote:

and run power separately

shield gnd not signal gnd
which ironically is the same thing
How you grounded the shield? :)
Just attaching to the usb connector?
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

just connect cable shield to usb plug outer case
sima66

Post by sima66 »

nige2000 wrote:just connect cable shield to usb plug outer case
Thanks, that's what I thought! :)

I just practiced to make one usb cable (without the midle teflon or cotton rope....just twisting data and power separately) using ethernet cable double wires and I only got white noise!! Lol....
My usb stick works when I connect with the same cable to my laptop (using adapter).