wtfplay project - it's official

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
cvrle59

Re: wtfplay project - it's official

Post by cvrle59 »

This place is quiet...
I am planing to give to my music PC another role, to use it for some other stuff with Win 10 installed. I have an idea how to do dual power supply to use battery's when I'm listening music, or external PS for other purposes. I would like to purchase a 4K monitor to connect it through Display Port to it.
My question here is, if Linux with Wtf, will drive that port, or it's limited to VGA only? If not, my plan is dead!
Any experience here?
i3 Haswell, PPAStudio USB3 card and USB Micro cable/Chord Hugo/Nad-275BEE/Harbeth-30.1
frd1996

Post by frd1996 »

Hi,

If your MB has VGA BIOS emulation then you should be able to get VGA signal through the DisplayPort connector. Unfortunately you will not get the 4k. The standard VGA resolution will be scaled up by your screen.

I've been working on UEFI boot and with this mode you may reach higher resolutions. I will post updates on this.

F
cvrle59

Post by cvrle59 »

frd1996 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:28 am Hi,

If your MB has VGA BIOS emulation then you should be able to get VGA signal through the DisplayPort connector. Unfortunately you will not get the 4k. The standard VGA resolution will be scaled up by your screen.

I've been working on UEFI boot and with this mode you may reach higher resolutions. I will post updates on this.

F
Resolution isn't concern at all, once I boot it with Linux, I just need basic, basic display operation to see command line, and to be able to run the player. 4K would be important once I boot with Windows and run it in full function mode.
Would you be able to recognize if this MB has VGA BIOS modulation, or to guide me how I would be able to check it, please?
MSI B85M-G43 Intel B85 Motherboard - MicroATX, LGA 1150, Intel B85 Chipset, 2400 MHz(OC) DDR3, SATA 6 Gb/s
I would like to make sure the concept is gonna work, before I start monkeying with connectors and wires.
Thanks a lot for your reply!
i3 Haswell, PPAStudio USB3 card and USB Micro cable/Chord Hugo/Nad-275BEE/Harbeth-30.1
frd1996

Post by frd1996 »

I took a look at the manual for that MSI board and it does not say specifically about this. However, they say that the EUFI boot mode can be disabled. They call int "Windows 8/8.1 mode". That means the board is able to boot in BIOS mode, and it is a very strong clue that VGA BIOS is available. The do not mention any differences between video outputs so I would expect that all outputs are treated equally.

F
cvrle59

Post by cvrle59 »

frd1996 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:44 pm I took a look at the manual for that MSI board and it does not say specifically about this. However, they say that the EUFI boot mode can be disabled. They call int "Windows 8/8.1 mode". That means the board is able to boot in BIOS mode, and it is a very strong clue that VGA BIOS is available. The do not mention any differences between video outputs so I would expect that all outputs are treated equally.

F
I'll give it a shot...thanks!
frd1996

Post by frd1996 »

Hi,

I am happy to let you know that the new release of wtfplay-live is now available. The list of changes and the link to the download directory can be found here:

http://wtfplay-project.org/rnotes.html

Please give it a try and let me know how it works for you.

Enjoy!
F
frd1996

Post by frd1996 »

I am happy to let you know that the new release of wtfplay-live is now
available. The ISO images and the release notes can be found in the usual
http://wtfplay-project.org/rnotes.html

Also, the support for DFF and AIFF files is nearly finished, so expect the
new release soon. Initially I planned to include these features in this
release, but the code is not sufficiently tested.

Anyway - have a fun with this release. I hope that you will like it.

F
sima66

Post by sima66 »

Is this the latest version of WTF.......wtfplay-live-0.6rc1-corei7-avx
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
4SteinHarmonizers;RR777;Tellus;StillpointsUltraSS
jrling

Post by jrling »

No.

If you go to the WTF website here - http://wtfplay-project.org/rnotes.html, you will see that 0.6.2 is the latest release. That page tells you the changes compared to 0.6.1

It is very good.

Jonathan
Maplin XM21X 12V float charging A123 26650 LiFePO4 battery/Maxwell Supercap PSU for Mitac PD10-BI J1900 Bay Trail, WTFPlay, Hiface Evo, Bow Technologies 1704 NOS DAC, StereoKnight TVC, Quad II monoblocks, ZU Audio Druid Mk4/Method Sub
sima66

Post by sima66 »

jrling wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:40 am No.

If you go to the WTF website here - http://wtfplay-project.org/rnotes.html, you will see that 0.6.2 is the latest release. That page tells you the changes compared to 0.6.1

It is very good.

Jonathan
Thanks Jonathan, I was on the wrong page! :)
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
4SteinHarmonizers;RR777;Tellus;StillpointsUltraSS