Vinyl. General News for lovers of the black stuff

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
cybot

Re: Vinyl. General News for lovers of the black stuff

Post by cybot »

tweber wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:26 pm
Fran wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:28 am Reports on fb and the like say the quality of the pressing is good for abbey road. Have to go to liffey valley tomorrow so might pick one up.
Finally gave this a spin today. Sounds good to me anyways. 180G vinyl and with the Eason loyalty card ended up costing me €3.50 :-)
Nice one Shane! What's the magazine like?
tweber

Post by tweber »

cybot wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:09 pm
Fran wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:28 am Reports on fb and the like say the quality of the pressing is good for abbey road. Have to go to liffey valley tomorrow so might pick one up.
Finally gave this a spin today. Sounds good to me anyways. 180G vinyl and with the Eason loyalty card ended up costing me €3.50 :-)
To be honest Dermot, magazine is a bit of a stretch. Booklet is probably more accurate. Nice info contained in it but nothing major. Still good value for the lp itself though- I didn't have it on vinyl before
cybot

Post by cybot »

tweber wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:14 am
cybot wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:09 pm

To be honest Dermot, magazine is a bit of a stretch. Booklet is probably more accurate. Nice info contained in it but nothing major. Still good value for the lp itself though- I didn't have it on vinyl before
Thanks for that Ivor. I don't really need any more Beatles now do I? That mono vinyl set I was crazy enough to splash out on a while ago is really something else entirely......

Eagerly waiting on the individual mono Stones vinyl.....I believe they're stunning.
bod

Post by bod »

Bargain of the Year Award:

Rainbow - Polydor Years 8lp...£20!!! Use addresspal and it`s yours for about €35 :-)

http://thesoundofvinyl.com/*/*/The-Poly ... JIC0000000
cybot

Post by cybot »

bod wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:08 pm Bargain of the Year Award:

Rainbow - Polydor Years 8lp...£20!!! Use addresspal and it`s yours for about €35 :-)

http://thesoundofvinyl.com/*/*/The-Poly ... JIC0000000
Ah wait a minute???
tweber

Post by tweber »

Anyone get anything interesting for RSD? Some nice releases but some stuff at eye-watering prices mind you some stuff already resurfacing on discogs at multiples of rrp!
cybot

Post by cybot »

tweber wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:04 pm Anyone get anything interesting for RSD? Some nice releases but some stuff at eye-watering prices mind you some stuff already resurfacing on discogs at multiples of rrp!
I refuse to go on a rant but, yes, you're right Shane, the prices were embarrassing to say the least! Especially more so for me as I was fully committed in supporting my local record shop. I headed down about fours ago and I almost headed back out after 5 minutes! So.....I counted to ten and went back round the tiny double sided rack and actually found what I was looking for.....at a relatively reasonable price. Pink Floyd's very first session doing Interstellar Overdrive from 1966! I actually thought I had it already but no, on close inspection, realised it indeed hadn't been released officially before. And in glorious mono too! I was ecstatic! €22 for a one sided 12" lasting 15 minutes plus a b/w photo of the band plus a poster. Still expensive but not crazy especially when I realised that it wasn't even included on the mammoth 27 or so disc set released recently. Up yours! Seriously though some of the prices made me cry. The Doors early set at the Matrix was going for €33 on a single vinyl slab! Compare that to last years RSD Doors triple live set on clear vinyl going for €3 less!! Iggy Pop 4 Lp live set: yours for €75. Neil Young's Decade repress.....€45. Need I go on? A complete and utter rip off.....

After all that what did you get Shane :)
tweber

Post by tweber »

cybot wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:11 pm
tweber wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:04 pm Anyone get anything interesting for RSD? Some nice releases but some stuff at eye-watering prices mind you some stuff already resurfacing on discogs at multiples of rrp!
I refuse to go on a rant but, yes, you're right Shane, the prices were embarrassing to say the least! Especially more so for me as I was fully committed in supporting my local record shop. I headed down about fours ago and I almost headed back out after 5 minutes! So.....I counted to ten and went back round the tiny double sided rack and actually found what I was looking for.....at a relatively reasonable price. Pink Floyd's very first session doing Interstellar Overdrive from 1966! I actually thought I had it already but no, on close inspection, realised it indeed hadn't been released officially before. And in glorious mono too! I was ecstatic! €22 for a one sided 12" lasting 15 minutes plus a b/w photo of the band plus a poster. Still expensive but not crazy especially when I realised that it wasn't even included on the mammoth 27 or so disc set released recently. Up yours! Seriously though some of the prices made me cry. The Doors early set at the Matrix was going for €33 on a single vinyl slab! Compare that to last years RSD Doors triple live set on clear vinyl going for €3 less!! Iggy Pop 4 Lp live set: yours for €75. Neil Young's Decade repress.....€45. Need I go on? A complete and utter rip off.....

After all that what did you get Shane :)
Tried to keep the spend small :-) Got Jason Isbell Live from Welcome to 1979, Ben Folds & WASO live, Sugar Copper Blue triple lp & Jimmy Page + the Black Crowes Live at Jones Beach (this was dear 25€ 3 tracks).
Trying not to rant either :-) At least my local shop made a full day event of it again this year- freebies for the early birds, Live Bands from 11-6 and a few beers if you wanted. Great buzz in the shop to be fair too.
cybot

Post by cybot »

Ah no wonder you didn't go on a rant! You simply had more money to spend than me ;) Our local made a nice effort too with food, special offers etc. Brilliant atmosphere in the shop too. Nice haul! None of the albums you mentioned were on the racks. If they were I would have been tempted by the Sugar triple and the Black Crowes w/Jimmy Page 10".
To be fair I didn't come prepared as I spent most of my money on a Cream bootleg from 1967 from Discogs yesterday. No excuse really.....but it just goes to show that you can pick something decent out when the funds are low. The Interstellar Overdrive track is indeed something that's never been released before as it's a very, very different version to the two I have already. In fact I'm now very much tempted by the recent early Floyd 4 cd sets that have been released separately in more affordable chunks......as opposed to that massive and very expensive box set.
cybot

Post by cybot »

Anyone sample the Tower vinyl sale yet? I believe it's ending on Sunday.