DIY Regen Battery tweak

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
jkeny

Re: DIY Regen Battery tweak

Post by jkeny »

sima66 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:10 pm I'm still using the JKenny mod for Regen powering at 3.3V with one A123 battery.
Now I want to ad one 3.3V LT3045 regulator between and I need to raise the battery voltage at the LT's input so the LT drops the voltage to 3.3V at the output.
The question is how high I can go with the voltage to the A123 battery without damaging anything?
My experience is that any regulator between these batteries & load is detrimental to the sound - my theory is that it has to do with voltage stability i.e dynamic noise under dynamic current delivery

Why do you want to do this?
The A123 battery can maximally take 3.7V - don't know if that's enough voltage drop for LT3045 regulation?
I also don't know if keeping the battery at 3.7V will shorten it's life?
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
sima66

Post by sima66 »

Thanks John,

The reason for trying this is that I read some comments where people got "significant" improvement when using the LT's after the A123 battery PS, or UpTone LPS-1.
Ever since the little devil keeps saying...try it..,try it......
Did you tried LT's between?
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
4SteinHarmonizers;RR777;Tellus;StillpointsUltraSS
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

sima66 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:37 pm Thanks John,

The reason for trying this is that I read some comments where people got "significant" improvement when using the LT's after the A123 battery PS, or UpTone LPS-1.
I believe it could improve matters after the Uptone LPS-1 as this uses a voltage reg on it's output, anyway - it's not direct output from the UltraCap capacitors
Any link to use of LT3045 after A123 batteries ?
I know that itch - we all get it from time to time & it just won't go away
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
sima66

Post by sima66 »

jkeny wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:41 pm
sima66 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:37 pm Thanks John,

I believe it could improve matters after the Uptone LPS-1 as this uses a voltage reg on it's output, anyway - it's not direct output from the UltraCap capacitors
Any link to use of LT3045 after A123 batteries ?
I know that itch - we all get it from time to time & it just won't go away
I don't have any links to that, but one of my friends is using it from 5V combination and he can't be happier!
But, when I ordered to try, I forgot that I have the "maximum charge" limitation of the battery! :(
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

sima66 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:48 pm I don't have any links to that, but one of my friends is using it from 5V combination and he can't be happier!
But, when I ordered to try, I forgot that I have the "maximum charge" limitation of the battery! :(
Sorry, I don't follow what you are saying here? What is your friend doing?
You forgot about the 3.7V max for the battery?
www.Ciunas.biz
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

when u put a regulator after the cell you lose the colossal capacitance and esr of the battery
although it's a get power source for a regulator i'd be surprised if its 'better' to put a regulator after the battery when your target voltage is 3.3v
certainly wasnt in any of the applications i tried it in
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

We have found that even a large capacitor which is often recommended as compulsory by some, has a damaging or neutral effect on the sound. Haven't never found a large capacitor that improves the sound that these batteries often bring.
Nothing wrong with using a small smd film capacitor at the PS pins of ICs but this is performing a different role than the large capacitor.

Your friend probably isn't using these 3.3V batteries if he's starting with 5V & regulating down from there
www.Ciunas.biz
sima66

Post by sima66 »

jkeny wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:07 pm
sima66 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:48 pm I don't have any links to that, but one of my friends is using it from 5V combination and he can't be happier!
Sorry, I don't follow what you are saying here? What is your friend doing?
You forgot about the 3.7V max for the battery?
Yes, I forgot that I need to be able to raise the voltage of the battery before I drop again to 3.3V! :(
And I guess that I should asked this question before I bought the LT's!

EDIT: My friend uses Two A123 18650 LiFePO4 which gives 6.4V in and with LT down to 6V. Personally, I never heard, but he said that the LT was a huge improvement!