Best albums of the year

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
mcq

Best albums of the year

Post by mcq »

Excluding classical and jazz, here are the best albums this year that I have heard this year.  The most notable omission is St. Vincent's new album, Masseduction, which I haven't yet heard in its entirety.

Julien Baker - Turn Out The Lights
The Weather Station - Self-Titled 
The Barr Brothers - Queens Of The Breakers
Nadia Reid - Preservation
Aldous Harding - Party
Big Thief - Capacity

If I was forced to prune this down further, I would select these as my  most cherished albums of the year.  New music is in a wonderful place right now and it is incredibly heartening to see so much great music being made by these exceptional young artists.  

Julien Baker - articulating with intensity and anguish the very personal pain in her heart, she gave me the the most haunting listening experience of the year

The Weather Station - Tamara Lindeman is one of the best lyricists working right now and her new album was the most thoughtful and literate of the year

Aldous Harding - a true original and an entirely maverick talent, she gave me the most unsettling listening experience of the year.  

What did everybody else enjoy this year?
Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
cybot

Re: Best albums of the year

Post by cybot »

I don't do lists as I can barely remember what I bought last week!

Anyway just to say I wouldn't have known anyone on Paul's list only for his illuminating posts. At this stage I'm still barely catching up :)

My own 'list' is strictly based on what I actually bought this year, as far as I can remember anyway.....and not necessarily released this year either. Vinyl only.

Ho hum, shall we go through this transitive nightfall of diamonds....while we can?

Pan - Mono No Aware

Áine O'Dwyer - Music For Church Cleaners Vol. 1 & 2.

Jon Brooks - Autres Directions.

Marc Barrca - Music For Industry and Twilight expanded reissues.

Kerry Leimer - Land of Look Behind expanded reissue.

Fleet Foxes - Crack Up.

Grateful Dead - Shrine Exposition Hall LA 11/10/1967.
Cyndale

Post by Cyndale »

Here are a couple of LPs I bought during 2017 which have been on my turntable a lot...

Blake Mills - Heigh Ho
Warren Haynes & Railroad Earth - Ashes & Dust
Gilliam Welch - The Harrow & The Harvest
Brad Mehldau Trio - Blues & Ballads
Melody Gardon - Currency of Man (most played)
St Germain - Tourist
Alejandro Escovedo - Gravity
Samantha Crain - Under Branch & Thorn & Tree
D'Angelo - Voodoo (Light in the Attic label not that awful Back to Black version)
tweber

Post by tweber »

I don't do lists as I can barely remember what I bought last week!
I'm pretty much the same but these are some of the albums that have been doing it for me this year:
Jason Isbell & the 400 Unit: The Nashville Sound (also Live From Welcome To 1979 - RSD release)
Randy Newman: Dark Matter (obvious I know Dermot;-) )
Aimee Mann: Mental Illness
Robert Plant & the sensational space shifters: Carry Fire
Jake Xeres Fussell:What in the Natural World

p.s. I just got Goin' Platinum by Robert Finley about 2 weeks ago and I think it's a great LP too