It didn't explode....... YET (aka niges amp)

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes: 22

Sligolad

Re: It didn't explode....... YET (aka niges amp)

Post by Sligolad »

Ok another update....come home this evening and Amp is deadly silent, i need to put my ear right up against it to hear the slightest of hum.
So quality of mains supply plays a part in this where i live....crazy stuff!!!

Add to this the sound was astonishing and before i went down and listened to the amp close up I was trying to figure out if i changed anything and realized I added an SLC SD card at the weekend and I was playing music off this.

Next time the hum comes back I will try the Regenerator before the Isolation transformer to see if that helps, I have the Regenerator out of the system for a few months now.
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

The screwdriver to the ear test is useful to trace down where the noise is. I did it this evening on one here. Best described as a buzz through the screwdriver, it was loudest touching the Tx, and also could be heard on the mounting plate. Nothing on the rest of the chassis (no lid on for this of course). I still think its well worth trying a neoprene disc under the Tx. But you will never get rid of it completely.
Do or do not, there is no try
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

BTW, an acrylic top with a few dim LEDs in there sounds feckin gorgeous. You have me thinking now.

Fran
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Georgi

Post by Georgi »

Lol, please don't do that.

Everything that involve led's /specially blue ones/ remaind me of cheep Chinese stuff. At least they can visually impress you.
Just my thoughts, nothing more. ;)
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

we could wire a pair of these into each amp:

sima66

Post by sima66 »

Sligolad wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:42 pm
Add to this the sound was astonishing and before i went down and listened to the amp close up I was trying to figure out if i changed anything and realized I added an SLC SD card at the weekend and I was playing music off this.
Pearse, are you saying that the SLC SD Card sound better than your SLC USB sticks?!
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
4SteinHarmonizers;RR777;Tellus;StillpointsUltraSS
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

Not sure yet if the SLC SD card is better than the SLC USB sticks yet, tried back to back tracks at the weekend from both and could not hear a noticeable difference.
Then yesterday put on music i knew well and it sounded so much better so not sure what is going on yet given my AC supply seems to be much better in the past 48 hours.
Been working with a new PS unit today so have not had time yet to do some more comparisons. Cannot say much about it yet but good work going on in the background on good linear power supplies.

Once I get to a conclusion I will post feedback.
I almost hope it is not much better as they are very costly !!! even compared to SLC USB sticks.

Post by tony »

Fran wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:29 pm we could wire a pair of these into each amp:

That is really gorgeous Fran I might run with that it could really look great with the internal leds. Would that be good for rfi reduction?
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

tony wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:09 pm
Fran wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:29 pm we could wire a pair of these into each amp:

That is really gorgeous Fran I might run with that it could really look great with the internal leds. Would that be good for rfi reduction?
Best of all they are actually speakers as well so you could sell the quads :)