It didn't explode....... YET (aka niges amp)

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes: 22

nige2000

Re: It didn't explode....... YET (aka niges amp)

Post by nige2000 »

the mysteries of chinapost sent end of jan

sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
sima66

Post by sima66 »

Sligolad wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:07 pm Not sure yet if the SLC SD card is better than the SLC USB sticks yet, tried back to back tracks at the weekend from both and could not hear a noticeable difference.
Then yesterday put on music i knew well and it sounded so much better so not sure what is going on yet given my AC supply seems to be much better in the past 48 hours.
Been working with a new PS unit today so have not had time yet to do some more comparisons. Cannot say much about it yet but good work going on in the background on good linear power supplies.

Once I get to a conclusion I will post feedback.
I almost hope it is not much better as they are very costly !!! even compared to SLC USB sticks.
I'm very interested how those German SLC stick compare to the SLC SD card!
I received two vTran SLC 64GB sticks and compared to my Apacer 2GB SLC SD card and even with my ordinary Lexar 128GB USB stick, vTran SLC stick is to soft with less dynamics and detail
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
4SteinHarmonizers;RR777;Tellus;StillpointsUltraSS
tony

Post by tony »

I know I would be a little bit biased on this amp! but wow really delighted with how well it has worked out. Working flawlessly here and the level of detail and low noise whilst sounding naturally analogue rather than piercing analytical has made all the efforts so worthwhile. it is so good I can't see the point in reintroducing the Jadis and will probably move it or the Prima Luna on. It has the warmth of a valve amp and detail of a solid state. Great credit to Nigel for coming up with the idea and spending so much time with all of us getting the amp parts sourced and all the units built. Fran's experience ensured any potential grounding issues were resolved during the final phase of the build/testing. Thanks to the two of them the finishing wiring for the volume controls/power supplies was completed. God help us if I had to try and figure it out!
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Well, we had a great meet up today to celebrate the end of this fantastic project. Many thanks to Tony and family for putting up with us..... On more than one occasion too!

A stack of amps!
4192018193642.jpg
4192018193642.jpg (111.06 KiB) Viewed 963 times
A few happy owners
4192018193654.jpg
4192018193654.jpg (85.72 KiB) Viewed 963 times
The main man without whom none of this would have happened.....
419201819376.jpg
419201819376.jpg (104.82 KiB) Viewed 963 times

It was great to see them all together, and of course each of us knows how good they sound already!

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

They look good all stacked up like that!
Well done lads, an incredible achievement!
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Yea, a great get-together - thanks to all & especially Tony for hosting us & putting up with my jibes

The sound was absolutely stupendous through both the AB amp & Nige's ClassA amp using the SD card through a modded Soekris DAC & got even better when we used Pearse's SLC SD card instead of the standard SD cards
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
Georgi

Post by Georgi »

Thanks to all and specially to Tony, for the invite. Was nice to see you all, again.
Amps are fantastic, very good job done. Bravo.
Thanks for the opportunity to 'steal' one of them and enjoy the the sound in my own environment, really nice.
Thanks again. ;)
Georgi

Post by Georgi »

Probably it's been written somewhere, but I haven't seen it, nether I ask yesterday, but can you tell me please, what is the power output per channel?
I'm using 4 Oms speakers, 90 dB at the moment.
There is enough power to drive them, just curious.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Ideal impedance is 6 Or 8 ohms might struggle at the highest volumes
But in reality you likely won't notice as your listening level will be below clipping wattage
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Derek

Post by Derek »

A big thanks you to Tony and his put upon family for allowing this meet up to take place.
It was great to get together again without having to solder, or drill, or tap or...
The sound quality fully justified the time, effort and commitment.
Many thanks Nigel.
NigeAmp, NigeSD DAC, Airtight ATM-4, Ruark Accolades, Pink Triangle TT, Roksan Artimiz, Clearaudio Discovery, Tom Evans Microgroove Plus, Fran DAC, Dalkey Audio Interconnects.