Recommended Books

For everything else..... try not to spill your drinks OK?
Seán

Re: Recommended Books

Post by Seán »

Adrian wrote:You are getting in some good reading there Fergus!

I'm currently in Shredded, Inside RBS, the bank that broke Britian by Ian Fraser.

It's a good read, detailing some truly ignorant and financially dangerous people, explaining various concepts of Global finances i.e. Basel I, Basel II, etc... Greenspan's world view, Financial Services Authority UK etc

It wasn't just little old Ireland that got it wrong... it was the entire global financial system. Easy to read and not afraid to call a idiot............ "an Idiot".

A book on that bloody megalomaniac, Fred Badloss, should make for a very interesting read. I can't bring myself to read it now, some day perhaps. He built RBS up into a lean and highly profitable bank and then destroyed it, his successor, Hester, was even worse.
Enjoy!
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote:A book on that bloody megalomaniac, Fred Badloss, should make for a very interesting read. I can't bring myself to read it now, some day perhaps. He built RBS up into a lean and highly profitable bank and then destroyed it, his successor, Hester, was even worse.
Enjoy!
Yes, I think that would make for some difficult reading for you Seán!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Sorry to hear that Sean. If it gives you any satisfaction.... Fred 'the shred' Goodwin is protrayed as a most unsavoury character, a person who shed their humanity for arrogance. Comes out of it quite badly indeed. Not that it makes much difference to those who lost money / jobs etc.
Let the Good Times Roll...................
Seán

Post by Seán »

Adrian wrote:Sorry to hear that Sean. If it gives you any satisfaction.... Fred 'the shred' Goodwin is protrayed as a most unsavoury character, a person who shed their humanity for arrogance. Comes out of it quite badly indeed. Not that it makes much difference to those who lost money / jobs etc.
Thanks Adrian, yeah 193 of us in the RBS Group Technology Centre in Dublin lost our jobs because of his actions, ah well that's life!
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:
Seán wrote:A book on that bloody megalomaniac, Fred Badloss, should make for a very interesting read. I can't bring myself to read it now, some day perhaps. He built RBS up into a lean and highly profitable bank and then destroyed it, his successor, Hester, was even worse.
Enjoy!
Yes, I think that would make for some difficult reading for you Seán!
His hubris cost many dearly. The unfortunate British taxpayer has had to pour billions of pounds into Ulster Bank to keep it afloat, we should be very grateful to them for having done so.

I'll get off my soap box now!
mcq

Post by mcq »

John Berryman is somebody whose poetry I have loved since first reading his masterpece, The Dream Songs, over 20 years ago.  Like any great artist, his work deepens in profundity and complexity as you grow older. There are lines from his poems that I know I will never forget, lines charged with vulnerability and despair and the blackest humour which sustain and nourish me as I bring them to mind and reflect upon them.   There can be a raggedness to the syntax of these poems that can make them hard to digest but there is something indefinable in his lifelong attempt to essay the unknowable strangeness of the human heart that comes closer to "emotional truth" than a great many canonical writers.  He responded to criticism of The Dream Songs simply with the words, "These songs are not meant to be understood.  They are meant to terrify and comfort."

Berryman was one of the great minds in 20th century American literature and a deeply rewarding writer on 17th century English poetry.  His career was deeply hamstrung by his alcoholism which fed his crippling self doubt and depression.  A tormented Catholic, he would urge his students to get down on their knees each day and pray for the words to come.  Berryman was 11 when his father committed suicide.  He fled to literature as a salve for his mental wounds but the mental anguish of this early trauma was a permanent one and he would be drawn back to this subject time and again.  

The Dream Songs is what I return to most regularly but this Selected Poems is an excellent selection of his entire output, which includes some of his most valuable poems from late in his life when he grappled directly with his faith and his sanity.  These are deeply distressing and eerily disquieting poems.  

Perhaps the greatest of these is Henry's Understanding, written shortly before his suicide in 1972.

"He was reading late, at Richard's, down in Maine,
aged 32? Richard & Helen long in bed,
my good wife long in bed.
All I had to do was strip & get into my bed,
putting the marker in the book, & sleep
& wake to a hot breakfast.

Off the coast was an island, P'tit Manaan,
the bluff from Richard's lawn was almost sheer.
A chill at four o'clock.
It only takes a few minutes to make a man.
A concentration upon now & here.
Suddenly, unlike Bach,

& horribly, unlike Bach, it occured to me 
that one night, instead of warm pajamas,
I'd take off all my clothes
& cross the damp cold lawn & down the bluff
into the terrible water & walk forever 
under it toward the island."
Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.