Good Cassette Decks

For Sale/Wanted
Forum rules
Note that Tir Na HiFi does not take any responsibility for transactions arranged or carried out here. It is up to the seller and buyer to check each other out! Please be sensible folks, and if there is something you think is wrong, let a mod know, OK?

To make it as clear as we can, here are some simple guidelines:

a) like any forum, the success of tirnahifi is entirely dependent on discussion. All members are encouraged to participate in discussion of music, hifi, etc.
b) tirnahifi is not designed to be, nor intended to be, a marketplace. Any member who uses the site merely for selling will be looked on suspiciously.
c) those members who choose to sell on the site should be aware that the mods do keep an eye on the stuff for sale, plus the demeanour of the seller. Sometimes we may lock/delete/ban a sales thread on this basis.
d) honesty is paramount in all selling transactions. Commercial sellers who label themselves as such are accepted at the discretion of the moderating team.
e) All ads have to include information about age, price, provenance, etc.
f) THE MODERATING TEAM RESERVE THE RIGHT TO REMOVE ANY ADS AT THEIR DISCRETION.
g) Commercial sellers should approach any of the moderation team in advance of posting. First time commercial posts without moderator contact will be removed.
Rayfi

Re: Good Cassette Decks

Post by Rayfi »

Thanks for the offer on the Nakamichi I might take you up on that in the new year there seems to be a few of them about here. I suppose as the lads on this forum know their stuff it shouldnt be a suprise there would be top decks available. If I do buy one I would prefer to buy from someone on here than the ebay lottery.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Hi Ray,

I have an Aiwa AD-F810 which wouldn't have seen much usage. Not at same level as some of those Nakamichi decks but had its fans at the time. Let me know if interested...

Cheers,
Steve
Chord Electronics DAVE - Aesthetix Calypso - Pass Labs XA100.8 - Wilson Audio Alexia - Nordost Quattro Fil/SPM
Rayfi

Post by Rayfi »

Thanks Steve for the offer. What kind of money are you looking for the AIWA. I got my old Sony TC-FX320 back working I stripped it down again and found more gunk behind the plate that sits behind the cassette wheels. Think its called the retainer!!. I fitted the new belts and voila we have music. Its a beat ass tape player but its the first one ive ever owned so Im getting really fond of it.
Im getting a vintage Sansui D-X350i for christmas from the boss. I read some scans from Hifi Review I think that was kindly posted on Tapeheads forum and it was classed as having good sound quality for an inexpensive deck. Sorry im turning this into a mini-tape forum but something interesting today after cleaning and fixing again I listened to an old Dean Martin cassette I got at a charity shop and a Billy Holiday one I bought online and the sound wasnt great but the recordings from that time were iffy enough. It was almost totally veiled using dolby b or c so I listed with nr off.

Then I stuck in another online buy a band ive never heard of Zap Mama a warner bros tape from 1994 and the sound quality was wow amazing for the gear I have (I repaired a pair of Royd Audio A7 series II I won at auction along with a Rotel 821a). The Rotel pops the speakers on turning on and off but it doesnt have that circuit "soft" something to stop that so I assume that normal??
I read the sleeve notes and it had hx dolby but my machine hasnt that so maybe its down to the mastering as it is on CD.

I dont want to go mental given a few lads on here have offered decks but you cant go wrong having a few to choose from and 2019 I think will have to be declared as the year of the cassette.

Thanks to everyone who replied and any observations on sound quality etc would be appreciated. Anyone who has a tape collection who wants to sell would also be a "person of interest".
giant haystacks

Post by giant haystacks »

the amplifier maker guy seargent who was involved with audionote japan -audio innovations-and now his own pure sound brand is now big into reel to reel and the hifi dealer kronos hifi he is looking for a reel to reel player so there is a change.
i checked prices of some cassette decks today it is silly prices
the sansui comes from before digital age so should give it an advantage-the aiwa machines are all good the best tape playback machine of all was an aiwa 9000
Rayfi

Post by Rayfi »

Thanks man.
Yes Reel to Reel Ive read some threads on Tapeheads about them and they look cool but Id imagine you would want to be handy enough with the screwdriver or have deep pockets to get into reel to reel. The most basic player now is expensive as people want to get back to tape its probably too late for any of the big companies to put out something reasonable without it costing a fortune yet Crosley sell their turntables and I see they have moved to cassette radio now. I look forward to getting the Sansui and yes from what ive read AIWA made some very serious kit. I will revisit the offers of decks here in 2019 to see if some of the decks mentioned are still for sale.
giant haystacks

Post by giant haystacks »

keep the intrest going -study and learn -lift the lid and look in what way things work -my friend who lives closest to me and does most of my recordings as i do not have the records or record player has given me (but still his)a studer 710mk2 cassette deck which done nothing when i switched it on but it was just a little siezed up and everything worked but rewind was poor -i took tape transport out and it really is rolls royce type build i split it in 3 pieces and cleaned and lubrucated and i found one of the reel motors that the tape sits onto very rough sound when spinning now it is much better after i got fine oil in).i will build all up again and put it back in tape deck (i saw a label oct 1981) see how things go at least it is a runner for now (in the long run some of the nakamichi bx models would be good for you and there would be a few of them about simpler to work at cheaper)
Rayfi

Post by Rayfi »

Im thinking of doing a Hifi electronics training course next year which will be useful as ive no basic electronics training. Ive an old Rotel 821a ive stopped using as on turning on and off it makes a bumf noise that moves woofer of speakers in and out. I measured the dc at the back of it with multimeter and it was ok so im not sure if this behavior is ok or a danger to the speaker. Any ideas?
DNT

Post by DNT »

Hi

I have a couple of Technics decks that you are welcome to have a look at. They are RS TR255 and RS T230. Let me know if you are interested.

Denis