Computer Audio Blasphemy, nige tries Another SD Card Player

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
tapatrick

Re: Computer Audio Blasphemy, nige tries Another SD Card Player

Post by tapatrick »

randytsuch wrote:Sorry, I kind of accidentally renamed my wiki
https://sites.google.com/view/audiostuff/sd-player
You are a star. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tapatrick

Post by tapatrick »

Dusted down my SD card player which has been in a box for a year or so and bypassed the 5v reg. Now playing I2S into my PS Audio Jr DAC with latest software update 'Windom'. Sounding soooo.. good. This little gem out shines all other sources I have been playing with for realism, ambience, soundstage and natural SQ.

Looks like I will be back to buying music again to load on to cards. Thanks all for this thread.
gstew

Post by gstew »

@tapatrick...

Very interesting. We've corresponded before and I've been watching you try different front-end options for your PSA DAC. Glad to know that the Windom upgrade to that DAC was such an improvement. I wonder how much more they can wring out of that setup?

Also, what are you using for the I2S to I2S-over-HDMI conversion?

Anyway, I remember at one time you were using an RPi endpoint with an I2S-over-HDMI conversion card to feed your Directstream Jr. I was going to suggest you look at the new Allo USBBridge Signature, basically an RPi with an added Ethernet port (resolving the on-chip IO conflicts), an added USB-DAC USB output (similar to that on a Regen or Rendu), and a lot of linear regulation and power supply filtering (almost a regulator per chip rail input). I've got 2 of them running and they best my linear-regulation-modified RPis quite handily which had been significant upgrades over stock RPis. I'm using 3 float-charged 350F Ultracap pairs as the output buffer to power the USBBridge Sig and the connected DAC hats and related interface cards (FiFoPi, Allo Isolator) in each setup. Clearly a new high in my setups.

BUT your comments have me think I need to move modifying these SD Card players up in my queue so I can compare them to both my stock and modified SDTrans384 AND the USBBridge Sig as sources.

Thanks for the prod.

Greg in Mississippi
tapatrick

Post by tapatrick »

gstew wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:26 pm @tapatrick...

Very interesting. We've corresponded before and I've been watching you try different front-end options for your PSA DAC. Glad to know that the Windom upgrade to that DAC was such an improvement. I wonder how much more they can wring out of that setup?

Also, what are you using for the I2S to I2S-over-HDMI conversion?

Anyway, I remember at one time you were using an RPi endpoint with an I2S-over-HDMI conversion card to feed your Directstream Jr. I was going to suggest you look at the new Allo USBBridge Signature, basically an RPi with an added Ethernet port (resolving the on-chip IO conflicts), an added USB-DAC USB output (similar to that on a Regen or Rendu), and a lot of linear regulation and power supply filtering (almost a regulator per chip rail input). I've got 2 of them running and they best my linear-regulation-modified RPis quite handily which had been significant upgrades over stock RPis. I'm using 3 float-charged 350F Ultracap pairs as the output buffer to power the USBBridge Sig and the connected DAC hats and related interface cards (FiFoPi, Allo Isolator) in each setup. Clearly a new high in my setups.

BUT your comments have me think I need to move modifying these SD Card players up in my queue so I can compare them to both my stock and modified SDTrans384 AND the USBBridge Sig as sources.

Thanks for the prod.

Greg in Mississippi
Hi Greg

Nice to hear from you and likewise I've been keeping an eye on your progress. The Windom upgrade has been significant and you might have seen my post on CA, so much that I have had to go back to basics and regroup. So much so I'm tempted to hang up my tweaking tools!

I decided to reconnect my SD card today after discovering it when I was clearing up. One of those tasks I have been wanting to do for a while. In combination with Windom it is singing very sweetly. I'll give it a week and decide what direction to go in next.

Regarding the I2S to HDMI conversion I'm using the Audio-gd module which I think if anything is the weak link:
https://www.magnahifi.com/en/webshop/pr ... VDS-IO-KIT.

I have noticed the excitement around the USB Signature recently and will check it out given your recommendation. I got one of John Kennys Ultracaps supplies - 7.5v which is an excellent addition to my collection.

"...SD Card players up in my queue so I can compare them to both my stock and modified SDTrans384 AND the USBBridge Sig as sources."
I will be keeping an eye out for your thoughts on these! :)

Cheers Patrick
tapatrick

Post by tapatrick »

jp2018 wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 7:48 am I don't really like the remote that came with my sdplayer, my Samsung S6 works much better as remote. I Don't have to aim it towards the ir receiver like I have to do with the original. I tested different remote apps, Irplus works well and it's free. I don't know if anyone finds this useful .....
Thank you for this!
tapatrick

Post by tapatrick »

I tried an Integral endurance 16GB SLC card and after a couple of hours warming up without a doubt worth spending extra on.
Can’t believe how good music is sounding and leaves other computer based sources/endpoints in the dust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tapatrick

Post by tapatrick »

Received the NDK clocks and added the 22Mhz today. Some photos in case anyone needs some help as they are not easy to deal with. Thanks for the tip Pearse, I added the little wires to the NDK and removed the old clock with plenty of rework flux and Chip Quik alloy.

Burning in for a few hours and getting the best sound I've had through my system so far. I've been around the houses searching for all the detail, big soundstage, black background etc you expect with digital but WITHOUT the harshness, which is not easy to achieve in my experience... powering the player with Ian Canadas LifePo4 board... Sounding magical.
Solder.jpg
Solder.jpg (120.66 KiB) Viewed 914 times
22clock.jpg
22clock.jpg (286.15 KiB) Viewed 914 times
SDcard.jpg
SDcard.jpg (301.48 KiB) Viewed 914 times
Last edited by tapatrick on Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tapatrick

Post by tapatrick »

seeteeyou wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:29 pm Here's something for USBridge Sig that won't break the bank
Nice find.. opinion seems to be that it beats the Allo USBridge signature
randytsuch

Post by randytsuch »

FYI guys, for mounting ndk clocks, I figured out that sot23-6 adapters are a perfect fit

The holes for the sot23 adapter will line up with the pad pattern for crystek's, or you can wire from there if you have to.

I soldered the adapter to the bottom board by putting solder in the hole and pad, then placed the adapter in place and heated up the hole
Attachments
IMG_4075.jpg
IMG_4075.jpg (125.65 KiB) Viewed 907 times
MSI H81-P33 MB, Xeon E3-1225 V3, LPS/LIFEPO4 and Astron RS-12A, 240gb SSD music, 2nd SSD for OS, Mod SS PCIE USB card, Server2012 R2 Ess+AO+MQn, Amanero USB to DACEND ES9018 to Schiit Lyr amp to Senn HD 700 headphones