The Dublin Audio Show - November 16/17 2019

sdiesel77

Re: RE: Re: The Dublin Audio Show - November 16/17 2019

Post by sdiesel77 »

halvis wrote: I didn't like the room with the small ribbon tweeter speakers at all. In the same room was the Technics TT and big Meridian CHP. I like the Technics TT, but the sound from the speakers was pretty woeful IMO. I don't think I like speakers with ribbon tweeters.
Totally agree on the really poor sound quality of these bookshelf ribbon speakers.
However, have you heard other speakers using ribbon Tweeter?
I have a pair at home (JMR Abscisse) and IMO they sound totally different (in a positive way [emoji16])

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Tubes & Vinyls are making life brighter..
halvis

Re: The Dublin Audio Show - November 16/17 2019

Post by halvis »

I have, but can't recall what they were unfortunately. Come to think of though, I did hear a pair I liked somewhere too. In general, though, everytime I have heard them, they do make their presense felt.

Were they really 30K?, that is just another level of ridiculous!
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Sligolad wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:26 pm
Diapason wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:47 pm I don't know what to think about those Borresens. I like listening to them and I think they do a lot of things well enough, but I can hear their limitations and I don't hear the money involved! I really WANT to love them, but...
WOW just checked price and they are way overpriced, 30k is what I am seeing....that seems way out of whack!!
Shows are always difficult and I wouldn't dream of making a final judgement on the basis of a few minutes and all that, but...

Yeah. I'd be looking in a different direction if I had that budget. At the very least I'd be looking for a different kind of presentation.

(Diplomatic is my middle name!)
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
greygoose

Post by greygoose »

I was really looking forward to the Rega room, I really wanted to hear their different CD players, was hoping to listen to an ISIS BUT alas not on show, of all the rooms I was expecting musicality was this one but I was dissapointed, maybe the room was too big for the speakers on show.
I do like focal but the Naim statement / Focal room was in a small room with an odd shape which was a pity, still enjoyed the chance to see some uber systems, still happy with what I have !!
CAPS1.0 / RA Opus21-Chordqbd76HD-Modwright LS36.5- ATC 50asl
RA CD50- ATC sia2-150-ProAC 18's / hd650
Georgi

Post by Georgi »

In general, good presentations, yes, few things to be wish for, but for a small market like here, I think is a good start.

A bit disappointed with most of the speakers, specially with Focal/Naim and one of the B&W room /can't remember which/.
Blades were very interesting in my opinion, did work with those Linn gear well enough.
The guy in Linn's room, Gordon, was very pleasant to talk with. Not impress at all from Linn's active speakers, Kef's were much more enjoyable, but that's me.
Esoteric gear was interesting for me, maybe if they use better Spendor speakers to demo, maid work better.
Guys from Rega were nice to talk with.

I'll go back today again, just for the craic.
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

I liked the Rega room, but not being a vinyl guy it made it tricky for me to get a handle on the sonics. I think I like KEF speakers, though, which was an interesting discovery.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
halvis

Post by halvis »

I was disappointed with the Rega room too. Given the side porting of the speakers I think they should have thought about placement more. I agree that most of the speakers were too small for the room. In fact, I expected the Rega speakers to be bigger tbh, they look bigger on the internet 🤣

The Rega RP3 turntable I listened to was probably held back by the cartridge , the RP10 sounded much more grown up. Night and day really.
Rocker

Post by Rocker »

Going against the grain, I liked the Naim/Focal system.

Two points:

(1) The music being played was, shall we say, generally dire middle of the road stuff.

(2) There was no system priced for first time buyers. Way back when Cloney ran the show, there was always a 'Show Special' system costing around £600 all in. One of the cheapest systems being demoed at the show was the aforementioned Naim/Focal system. In round figures about €5K. I know that a dealer like Cloney will put together a system for whatever price the customer wants to pay but a show is a great place to let people know that good sound can be had for reasonable money.

The rip-off prices charged by the Clayton is simply dreadful. Two bowls soup, two toasted ham & cheese sandwiches and one cup of coffee in the hotel foyer: wait for it, 38.10 Euro. I won't be going back there very soon.....
It's OK, if there is no bread I will eat cake.

Beware of a thin chef!
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Rocker wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:02 pm
(2) There was no system priced for first time buyers. Way back when Cloney ran the show, there was always a 'Show Special' system costing around £600 all in. One of the cheapest systems being demoed at the show was the aforementioned Naim/Focal system. In round figures about €5K. I know that a dealer like Cloney will put together a system for whatever price the customer wants to pay but a show is a great place to let people know that good sound can be had for reasonable money.
Just for the record there was a NAD B&W system for about €999 from Cloney.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Georgi

Post by Georgi »

I did spend little bit more time today in the main Naim/Focal room and to be honest, I did like few pieces of music they put on, not like yesterday. So, it is music dependant system, and really can't justify the price tag.
Same goes for those Danish /I think/ bookshelve speakers with strange name and amp as well. Gives some wow impression at first, but after a while something didn't felt right and the price is just, no comment.