London Refence Cartridge

Equipment, accessory and music reviews
Saxman

London Refence Cartridge

Post by Saxman »

Hi All
Some while ago I wrote a short review of the London Super Gold Cartridge. Time moves on and I changed my Asthetix Rhea phonostage for a Avid Pulsar 2 Reference phono stage this is a awesome piece of equipment.
Was using a Hana MH and decided to try the London Super Gold I sat back in disbelief at the sound.
Then I thought if this sounds like it does what must the reference sound like.
Done some research spoke to John Wright in the Uk who makes them just to ensure that my Audio Origami arm would handle the nuansecies of the cartridge.
Spoke to Johnnie in Glasgow who makes the pu7 arm and he said it should handle it with ease.
Anyway took the plunge after getting the blessing of my better half.
There is a awful lot of comments and criticisms on the hi fi forums on the web relating to mistracking etc.I sometimes sit in disbelief at some of the questions that are asked.
The London Super Gold tracked with no problem whatsoever,the only modification I done was add a four gram weight from SME on to the head shell which increased the mass of the tone arm.
John Wright also supplies ballast weights if required.
The cartridge arrived and I must admit after reading numerous reviews I was concerned if it would track the vinyl ok.
I need not have been concerned ,mounted the cartridge at 1.85 grams vtf and the arm dead level withe turntable.
When the stylus hit the vinyl my jaw dropped at the sound being produced. I thought the Super Gold was good but the reference is in another league altogether just fantastic.
Should you be looking for a smooth warm silky sound forget it .This cartridge makes vinyl sound so real and life like whether it be percussion,woodwind,guitars and vocals sound as if they are in the room.
It won’t be every bodies cup of tea and some wouldn’t want to have it as their main listening cartridge .
As for myself it beats any Moving Coil I have heard including a Dynavector xv1t or a Transfiguration Proteous.
I personally would never go near Moving Coils again.
Yes you need a good system to get the full benefits of the cartridge ,that goes without saying for any cartridge.
It is a true revelation.
Again anybody want to hear it you are more than welcome
Kindest Regards
Alan
cybot

Re: London Refence Cartridge

Post by cybot »

Wonderful review! So delighted that everything has clicked into place for you. Thanks for sharing.

Any chance of a photo of the cartridge sitting on a record. Preferably at platter level :)
Saxman

Post by Saxman »

Hi
Yes no problem not very good at mastering the tírna site could you send me a é mail address and I will gladly send you a photo.
Kind Regards
Alan
cybot

Post by cybot »

Saxman wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:55 pm Hi
Yes no problem not very good at mastering the tírna site could you send me a é mail address and I will gladly send you a photo.
Kind Regards
Alan
No worries Alan! It'll probably look something like this :)

Saxman

Post by Saxman »

Hi
Yes except its the reference the supergold in your photo looks nice and level only difference is the reference is a quantum leap
Kind regards
Alan
cybot

Post by cybot »

At least it doesn't look as scary as this 😱

Saxman

Post by Saxman »

That is indeed frightening what is it?
cybot

Post by cybot »

Saxman wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:47 am That is indeed frightening what is it?
As far as I can make out it's a vintage Decca London 😱
See link below.....

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/sho ... hp?t=91608
Saxman

Post by Saxman »

A prime candidate for hum I suggest John Wright in the UK would know. He was a Decca engineer before launching the London name. Awful looking thing but if it sounds right so be it
Cheers
Alan