Bill Rieflin RIP

For everything else..... try not to spill your drinks OK?
mcq

Bill Rieflin RIP

Post by mcq »

This passed me by completely but there has been a lot of news to digest over the past month. On March 20th, the drummer, Bill Rieflin, passed away at 59 after battling cancer for nine years.

I first became aware of Rieflin in the late 1980s when I developed an interest in industrial music, specifically Ministry and Nine Inch Nails. I have very happy memories of buying the live Ministry video, In Case You Didn’t Feel Like Showing Up Live, and particularly the standout performances of Stigmata and So What. This line-up of Ministry utilised two drummers, Martin Atkins and Bill Rieflin. Rieflin in particular captured my eye, partly for his sartorial elegance (he was once called the best dressed man in industrial music) but especially for his understated and intelligent drumming. His refinement seemed totally at odds with the madness on stage. After falling out (like so many others) with Al Jourgensen, he left Ministry and would go on to work with many other industrial rock bands including Nine Inch Nails and Swans. It was a surprise to see him join REM after the departure of Bill Berry, but it was a reflection partly of his musical flexibility and partly his professionalism and genteel, easygoing manner.

Most recently, he joined the latest incarnation of King Crimson as one of three drummers. Watching the concert film of Radical Action (To Unseat The Hold Of Monkey Mind), the intelligence of his musical contribution and general demeanour impressed me greatly and reminded me of the understated elegance of Bill Bruford. He took an unexpected sabbatical in 2016 “for personal reasons” and when he returned, he assumed new duties as a full-time keyboard player. It was announced last year that he would be taking another sabbatical. At the time, it seemed strange that Rieflin would voluntarily opt to take a break from what must have seemed like a dream job, but I suppose it all makes sense now.

Aside from his musical excellence, the abiding memory of the man seems to be of a hard-working professional, committed to his craft, but also a decent human being. Like so many others in this annus horribilis, he will be missed.
Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
cybot

Re: Bill Rieflin RIP

Post by cybot »

Annus horribilis indeed. I only came across him for the first time on the rear cover of King Crimson's Live one from 2014 so thanks for filling in the gaps. Rest in Peace Bill R.

Derek

Re: Bill Rieflin RIP

Post by Derek »

His death passed me by as well. He was a totally professional musician, fantastic drummer, with a built in instinct for what the song needed.
Thanks for posting mcq.
NigeAmp, NigeSD DAC, Airtight ATM-4, Ruark Accolades, Pink Triangle TT, Roksan Artimiz, Clearaudio Discovery, Tom Evans Microgroove Plus, Fran DAC, Dalkey Audio Interconnects.