Recommendations sought for internet radio please

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
Seán

Recommendations sought for internet radio please

Post by Seán »

Hello everyone,

It's been awhile.

I have been with Virgin Media and its predecessors for more than 30 years. One of the -- admittedly few -- benefits of their service was the fact that they carried FM radio so I was able to listen to BBC Radio 3, BBC Radio 4 and the World Service when I wanted to. On Friday last Virgin Media upgraded their network and removed BBC Radio 2 & 3, they will soon remove the rest.

Anyway, I am now in the market for an internet radio and music streaming audio player. On Saturday I spoke with Cloney and they have Sonas kits for €399 and €459. I was in Tower earlier today and they have a Marantz NA 6006 (€479) and a Denon DNP 800 (€479).

I do NOT intend on spending any more than €500 so I am wondering you are familiar with any of the players I have mentioned and if so what do you think of them? Are there any other audio players you think I might consider getting?

I am not left with a redundant Arcam Tuner.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Ivor

Re: Recommendations sought for internet radio please

Post by Ivor »

Seán wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:21 pm On Friday last Virgin Media upgraded their network and removed BBC Radio 2 & 3, they will soon remove the rest.
I thought they were gone ages ago, I haven't had a tuner in my system for quite a while! Oh well, looks like I won't put one back now.

At the risk of stating the obvious... don't be tempted by a DAB radio. Only RTE and its bastard offspring broadcast in DAB here and while that suits early morning news etc. it is not to be confused with internet radio... I know you know that but just sayin'
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

a phone and a bluetooth speaker?
Do or do not, there is no try
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

There are a number of options one can take, as Fran mentioned a iphone / Android phone and a bluetooth speaker.

I have a App on my phone called UK radio stations, it provides a list of hundreds of UK stations and it is very handy.

The plus side of using a phone is that you can use the app via your home network connection or via the 3G 4G GSM network.

I have a Arcam Blink dac, to which my phone connects via bluetooth, it converts D to A and then outputs via RCA to a amplifier. Very handy, flexible and relatively easy to use.

I also picked up a Marantz ND8006, combined CD, streamer unit for the kitchen. It connects wirelessly to the home wifi network. They normally recommend a CAT 5e cable, but the wifi works great, no issues. Except when the microwave oven is started, that's when the signal is lost.

The number of stations available streaming music on the www is HUGE, absolutely no way could traditional FM / AM compare / compete.

I picked the ND8006 as it is in a kitchen press, and height was very limited, only 320mm, getting a amplifier, tuner, CD player into the press was just not possible. With the ND8006, it is a CD, internet streamer, DAC, bluetooth, USB all in one, it also has a 1A USB port on the front so power a HDD. It also has variable outputs so can be used directly into a power amp. The unit can also be controlled via remote control and there is a app on the phone to control it also. I believe with the Denon / Marantz HEOS system, various bluetooth speakers can be placed about the house and each speaker can be controlled from your phone.

Obviously budget considerations are important, however it would be a good idea to carefully consider what exactly you require and if the system is to be upgraded / extended, space limitations (kitchen units?).
Let the Good Times Roll...................
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

What about that ikea speaker setup that works with sonos etc?
Do or do not, there is no try
tony

Post by tony »

What did you settle on Sean? I had a squeezebox years ago and wonder now should I have hung on to it.
I would just like something that connects to the main amp and allows spotify/streaming radio. Squeezebox look is as big as I would want but want decent quality. Squeezebox required the amp to be cranked up more to get decent volume.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

This is why it's such a shame that they discontinued the Chromecast Audio. It really is (was?) a great little device.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
tony

Post by tony »

Not sure about the chromecast Simon. A bit of searching and the these two seem to fit the bill. Pioneer N30AE and the Marantz NA006.
Looks like similar to squeezebox but has all the more modern stuff like spotify, tidal etc. Wifi or wired ethernet. Just have to figure out a way of playing BBC4 without a VPN. Hifihut seem to stock both products. Pioneer particularly looks good value.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Georgi

Post by Georgi »

Second hand Bluesound Node2 or 2i, got everything you need with decent sound quality and options.
Last edited by Georgi on Fri May 15, 2020 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tony

Post by tony »

Georgi wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:04 pm Second hand Bluesound Node2 or 2i, got everything you need with dissent sound quality and options.
The Bluesound2i seems the one to go for. I wimped out and got a secondhand Sonos Connect or ZP90 to give its proper name. For €100 I am delighted with it. Spotify and Internet radio now in the main system. It is not true hifi but delighted with SQ it is very acceptable. Bluesound is €540 which I baulked at. At least until I am convinced I will use the radio/spotify enough to consider improving the dac used.