The Lock-Down Tour

jkeny

Re: The Lock-Down Tour

Post by jkeny »

Claus wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 3:25 pm Yes that would be great, John! I will text you my address asap! Thanks a million!
OK, current tour list:
Tony - 12V supercap-PS (PS socket?) + ISO-HUB + ISO-DAC
Claus - 19V supercap-PS (2.5mm socket)
Georgi -12V PS - (2.5mm socket)
Last edited by jkeny on Sat May 16, 2020 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
Georgi

Post by Georgi »

jkeny wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 2:13 pm
Georgi wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 1:42 pm I mait be interested in Power Supply to my MiniPC very similar to the NUC set up. I'll have a look later the correct numbers.
All that's needed is voltage & current of your existing power supply
Here what it say on it:
Output 12V - 3A

Just a stupid Q, what about the conector from the PS to the MiniPC?
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Georgi wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 9:59 am
jkeny wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 2:13 pm
Georgi wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 1:42 pm I mait be interested in Power Supply to my MiniPC very similar to the NUC set up. I'll have a look later the correct numbers.
All that's needed is voltage & current of your existing power supply
Here what it say on it:
Output 12V - 3A

Just a stupid Q, what about the conector from the PS to the MiniPC?
OK, 3A should be fine - that's the max current drawn

Yes, need to consider the plug type needed for the various sockets on these PCs:
NUC should be OK as I believe it is a 2.5mm barrel type
Tony & Georgi - what does your PC require? - maybe post a pic of the plug on your existing PS used & any measurements appropriate?

I have a wide range of plug adapters but might not cover every possibility?
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
Georgi

Post by Georgi »

Im trying to post a pics, but the size is always too big.
Is there anywhere else I can send you the photos? Viber, Whatup?

Recording to the official website: 'Power Adaptor: AC 110-240V, 50-60Hz, DC 12V 3A, Ø5.5*2.5mm'
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Georgi wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 11:17 am Im trying to post a pics, but the size is always too big.
Is there anywhere else I can send you the photos? Viber, Whatup?

Recording to the official website: 'Power Adaptor: AC 110-240V, 50-60Hz, DC 12V 3A, Ø5.5*2.5mm'
I'll PM you my WhatsApp account
www.Ciunas.biz
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Might be interested in the ISO-HUB at some point. From the end of next week I'll be beginning my foray into computer based audio be it streaming or downloads, mainly downloads I suspect. Still unsure of where to start or what it will comprise of but whatever it ends up being, convenience will be pretty high up the priority list. Already have a CDP with a decent DAC so that part is sorted.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

DaveF wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 10:07 pm Might be interested in the ISO-HUB at some point. From the end of next week I'll be beginning my foray into computer based audio be it streaming or downloads, mainly downloads I suspect. Still unsure of where to start or what it will comprise of but whatever it ends up being, convenience will be pretty high up the priority list. Already have a CDP with a decent DAC so that part is sorted.
OK, Dave, I'll keep an eye on your journey - I'll add you to the list
www.Ciunas.biz
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

So here's the supercap-PS I intend to send on tour:

All the ISO-PSes have two outputs usually both of the same voltage. I intend to send on tour a supercap-PS with 19V fixed voltage on one output & a variable voltage on the other output (variable down from 19V). This is set using a knob & screen on the back panel showing the voltage setting.

This gives the end-user the option of powering two different devices:
- one powered direct from supercapacitors maintained @ 19V by very high quality, low noise voltage regulators (TPS7A4701). This is the highest quality output.
- the other output's voltage can be adjusted down by the user & maintained at this set voltage by the same, very low noise TPS7A4701 voltage regulator but now incorporated directly at the output (i.e between the bank of supercaps @ 19V & the output). This output may be of a slightly lesser quality than the fixed voltage direct from supercapacitors but it is the same approach, AFAIK, other manufacturers use in their supercapacitor power supplies.

Anyway, this avoids having to send around different fixed voltage ISO-PSes & people can also try the supercap-PS on different equipment that takes voltages other than 19V.

It also opens up the possibility of power two devices from the same supercap-PS - one which requires 19V & another requiring a lesser voltage. Of course the total continuous current draw (current out of both outputs added together) has a limit. The limit depends on a number of factors - the 24V charger PS which has 6 Amps output- the internal charging circuitry which is limited to about 3Amps continuous current but this will heat up the metal case which is used as the heatsink. Even though the total current output has the limits noted above, the ISO-PS will deliver very high levels of current for a number of seconds without difficulty - I believe this is where the main reported audible improvement comes from - the ease, flow & dynamics of music when audio devices are powered in this way. Interestingly, & somewhat quizzically, there is also an audible improvement reported when digital devices in the chain are powered this way suggesting that there is some form of electrical noise normally generated by the usual powering of these devices & this makes its way downstream into the digital audio devices connected in the playback chain.

Checking the heat on the ISO-PS case by hand is the best way to evaluate if the total current draw is too much.

BTW, the current that you will see on your power supplies powering your existing devices is the maximum current needed, not the continuous current needed which is usually far less than the maximum. So if you see 3Amps on your power supply, it only requires this 3Amps intermittently, usually at startup of the device. So two such 3A devices connected to the ISO-PS should not have any problem starting up i.e 6Amps of current for a couple of seconds should not be a problem
www.Ciunas.biz