Is the Squeezebox Touch still relevant?

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
peelaaa

Is the Squeezebox Touch still relevant?

Post by peelaaa »

HI, I have this unit but not using it at the moment. Is it still relevant or should I move over to the raspberry pi or similar?

regards
Ian
tony

Re: Is the Squeezebox Touch still relevant?

Post by tony »

My understanding is you can use Spotify or Tidal with apps etc and it still works for internet radio and playing music from a hard drive. I had one years ago but have 'updated' over the last month to the now out of date Sonos Connect :)

Really depends on if you have a working solution that you are comfortable with or want to move on to Bluesound or Sonos products for a more up to date interaction. I have ended up buying 3 secondhand Sonos Connects or ZP80/90 and it is a big leap.
Bluesound Node2i or Sonos Port are the most updated units I am aware of. Bluesound from reviews appears to have much better SQ.

Advantage with Sonos and the other new options is being able to easily use your phone to control. Hadn't realised that apps have been developed for mobile use with Squeezebox. The Sonos app works very smoothly and can link Spotify,Tunein radio etc. I am sure somebody who has used the all these products more than me will be along to give some better advice.
Last edited by tony on Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

I still have 2 of them, run one in the kitchen into a Denon mini system into Mission 771 speakers and love the convenience and sound.
Roon on my always on AV silent PC picks up the Touch easily and you can control playback from the Roon app on a smartphone.

Generally just pick a track or an album and let Roon take over to take me on a journey through my music collection, having the Touch there is handy to show me details and album art on anything that catches my attention without pulling out the phone.

Still relevant i would say.

Post by simonewings »

It really depends on what you want to do.
A Touch connected to a Logitech Media Server (LMS) running somewhere with your music library is still a great solution. Supports Spotify connect, and there is a new Material skin plugin which gives a great user interface for the phone, tablet etc. Including artist and album notes.

LMS is still actively supported and being developed my the community.

On the other hand a Raspberry Pi with the right power and Dac will sound better than a touch and its inbuilt dac.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

I always preferred the display on the original squeezebox to the handheld touch, but both are very handy. The transporter was always a class looking piece of kit but I never got to hear one.
Do or do not, there is no try
simonewings

Post by simonewings »

The Touch is a tabletop unit, you may be thinking of the Duet? [IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202006 ... 3dff87.jpg[/IMG]

I knew a guy on another forum who had a transporter I believe he sold it when the Dac in his active speakers was better than the Transporter.

tony

Post by tony »

This recent thread on PFM has similar info on the Squeezebox. Seems it still has a very active community. Looks like once you make the move to Bluesound etc it is hard to consider going back to LMS. But nevertheless if it is doing all you need there is no reason to move unless you get the itch!
https://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/thr ... nt.241937/
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

simonewings wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:52 pm The Touch is a tabletop unit, you may be thinking of the Duet?

I knew a guy on another forum who had a transporter I believe he sold it when the Dac in his active speakers was better than the Transporter.

You're right! It was the duet....
Do or do not, there is no try