Rory Anniversary

tweber

Rory Anniversary

Post by tweber »

Frightening I know but next Sunday (14th June) is the 25th anniversary of Rory Gallagher's passing

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingn ... 04315.html
- my own personal favourite was the Opera house Cork gig from '87 (simulcast on RTE TV and Radio plus available on DVD) but he was always great live.
Fran
Site Admin

Re: Rory Anniversary

Post by Fran »

25 years!!
Do or do not, there is no try
cybot

Post by cybot »

I remember seeing that Opera House gig too. Fair play for remembering our Rory. He was the best 🎸
Rocker

Post by Rocker »

Thanks for reminding us.

A few years ago my wife and I visited Rory's grave. As we were leaving the graveyard, we met four leather clad bikers entering the graveyard. Their bikes had German number plates. I glanced back as we departed and noted that the four were gathered at Rory's grave. The man got around a fair bit.

The taxi driver dropped us at a pub in Cork city. Inside there was memorabilia and photos of many Rock legends. An amazing place. What a day.

As always, RIP Rory.
It's OK, if there is no bread I will eat cake.

Beware of a thin chef!
tweber

Post by tweber »

cybot wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:25 pm I remember seeing that Opera House gig too. Fair play for remembering our Rory. He was the best 🎸
Was my first proper live gig-blew me away!
cybot

Post by cybot »

tweber wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:38 am
cybot wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:25 pm I remember seeing that Opera House gig too. Fair play for remembering our Rory. He was the best 🎸
The first and only time I saw Rory was at the Guinness Blues Festival where he performed on a makeshift stage in front of the Central Bank here in Dublin. He was dressed in black and the first chords to Who's Gonna Be Your Sweet Man......blew me to the far side of.....Grafton St :) Absolutely stunning!
tweber

Post by tweber »

cybot wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:29 pm
The first and only time I saw Rory was at the Guinness Blues Festival where he performed on a makeshift stage in front of the Central Bank here in Dublin. He was dressed in black and the first chords to Who's Gonna Be Your Sweet Man......blew me to the far side of.....Grafton St :) Absolutely stunning!
I was there too - new rhythm section at that stage - didn't really like them tbh but Rory and Mark Feltham were on it. Ronnie Drew was there for Barley & Grape Rag too.
Latest edition of Hot Press is a Rory 25th Anniversary special if anyone is looking for some lockdown reading
jmascisrory.jpg
jmascisrory.jpg (126.78 KiB) Viewed 382 times
J.Mascis is obviously a man of Taste ;-)
cybot

Post by cybot »

tweber wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:17 pm
cybot wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:29 pm

I was there too - new rhythm section at that stage - didn't really like them tbh but Rory and Mark Feltham were on it. Ronnie Drew was there for Barley & Grape Rag too.
Latest edition of Hot Press is a Rory 25th Anniversary special if anyone is looking for some lockdown reading
jmascisrory.jpg J.Mascis is obviously a man of Taste ;-)

To be honest I can only recall the first song as I was in awe for the rest of the gig lol!
Nice one on J. Mascis. Even he was struck by the energy. A man of Taste alright :)
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

saw him in Aberdeen 1980, fantastic concert, had most of his albums