Clock radios. Anyone heard a Ruark R1 mk3?

Diapason

Re: Clock radios. Anyone heard a Ruark R1 mk3?

Post by Diapason »

The Revo SuperSignal arrived from the wilds of Limerick today, and first impressions are that it's physically taller than expected, heavy and feels like a quality machine. First listen suggests that it's good, but not at the level of the Tivoli in sonic terms. The Tivoli is a much more elegant-sounding machine, more sophisticated and balanced. Still, in terms of functionality the Revo has a lot more useful stuff -- multiple alarms with weekday and weekend settings, alarm volume can be specifically set and not just the same as when radio was switched off, can be used as bluetooth speaker, etc. -- so all told I'm quite happy with it. We'll see if that *slight* bit of tizziness can be made to wear off with use.

I'll report back tomorrow when I know whether the wake-up process is on a par with this:

Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Just to close this out, that early tizz actually has worn off and the sound is really quite enjoyable now. In some ways it's more expansive than the Tivoli, bass is good, clarity is ok, and differences between stations clearly audible. All told I'm very happy with this purchase, even if I'm still not enjoying wake up experiences on a par with Prince Akeem.
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

you should have bought this :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xE2GEmHque8
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Opportunity missed!
cybot

Post by cybot »

DaveF wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:02 pm you should have bought this :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xE2GEmHque8
The most enjoyable 31 minutes ever! Thanks for that Dave 😊
Beresford

Post by Beresford »

I have a Tivoli Model 2 and we also have a REVO. My wife prefers the REVO, class D amp, slightly clearer on speech, and good on bluetooth from her iPad. I prefer the Tivoli, especially in stereo, with separate speakers less than 1 metre from my ears - good illusion of space, for a two inch driver.

In fact right now I prefer it to my main hifi - built round those bug-eyed Ruark Crusader 2 speakers that impressed me so much 20 years ago. But they have gradually gone all brittle sounding, (could be the amp, or my ears?) and now I have to take them somewhere to check on the drivers and crossover. The "bug eyes" are Dynaudio D-76AF, which are no longer made, and I don't know of any equally good replacement. Any suggestions?
cybot

Post by cybot »

My advice for what its worth would be to contact Wilmslow Audio. They'll probably suggest a Scanspeak to replace "bug- eye". Good luck!

Email: enquiries@wilmslow-audio.co.uk
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

You know, you might just make sure that all the drivers are screwed in tightly first. I, eh, have prior experience here...
Derek

Post by Derek »

Beresford wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:22 pm my main hifi - built round those bug-eyed Ruark Crusader 2 speakers that impressed me so much 20 years ago. But they have gradually gone all brittle sounding, (could be the amp, or my ears?) and now I have to take them somewhere to check on the drivers and crossover. The "bug eyes" are Dynaudio D-76AF, which are no longer made, and I don't know of any equally good replacement. Any suggestions?
I use a pair of Ruark Accolades, and they're incredible. The question of what replaces the bug-eye, mid-range driver, is always at the back of my mind. I don't have a ready answer, other than to find another set of speakers in good condition, using the same driver and grab them.
For me, I'm just enjoying the sound they deliver for as long as I can keep them.

Checking the drivers are tight, trying with another amp and having the crossover checked, all good advice. After that you need to track down a suitable replacement ala Wilmslow Audio, they have a good reputation, and it can't hurt to send them an email.

Why Ruark got out of big speaker building is beyond me. they were so very good at it. Maybe you'll find a pair of Excalibur's with low mileage somewhere.
NigeAmp, NigeSD DAC, Airtight ATM-4, Ruark Accolades, Pink Triangle TT, Roksan Artimiz, Clearaudio Discovery, Tom Evans Microgroove Plus, Fran DAC, Dalkey Audio Interconnects.