What music are you listening to currently?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
mcq

Re: What music are you listening to currently?

Post by mcq »

This was an unexpected treat and an early Christmas present. Gwenifer Raymond’s second album, Strange Lights Over Garth Mountain, was released a couple of weeks ago but I only became aware of it this week because of its inclusion in Uncut magazine’s best of 2020 list.

I loved her first album and this new album represents a significant evolution of her extraordinary talent. Compositionally, it is denser and richer, still aligned with the American Primitivist tradition pioneered by John Fahey and Robbie Basho, but she is now beginning to incorporate more influences from English folk and there are elements of flamenco creeping in as well. I have been listening to this album on repeat this week and I find it utterly captivating. A simply wonderful talent.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1zyE5pkTfo8

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iX17n1zpxxg

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KSttlWj0eKs

Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
mcq

Post by mcq »

One of the more interesting album discoveries for me from 2020. Keeley Forsyth’s Debris was released back in January but only came to my attention a few weeks ago due to its appearance on a number of best of year lists. Adventurous both lyrically and musically, her background in dance and acting is also apparent in her onstage performances. Debris was an album born out of a period of depression and its writing was a cathartic process for Forsyth. It doesn’t sound like a conventional singer-songwriter album and its lyrics are more subtly allusive than directly confessional. It’s an album that takes time to fully absorb, for its layers to unravel and unwind, but it’s time very well spent. A very interesting artist whose career will be worth following, I feel.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nX5TUIvJhXI

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jVe6qWrwOCI

Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
markof

Post by markof »

For the day that's in it.
RIP Chick
Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X
tweber

Post by tweber »

Been listening to this a lot recently. Recorded last year during the UK's lockdown, stripped back and special recordings of some great Nick music
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

tweber wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:45 pm Image
Been listening to this a lot recently. Recorded last year during the UK's lockdown, stripped back and special recordings of some great Nick music
That is exceptional o so many levels. Wonderful album.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Mmmmm, that's good stuff alright. Thank you for drawing this to my attention!
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
markof

Post by markof »

re:visions
Ólafur Arnalds
Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X
tweber

Post by tweber »

A thing of lockdown beauty
Jeff Tweedy, Love is King
markof

Post by markof »

Neil Cowley. Hall of Mirrors.
Piano and electronica.
If you like Nils Frahm but with a little more melody.
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Qobuz suggestion, I'm enjoying it immensely:
Screenshot_20210328-172856_Qobuz.jpg
Screenshot_20210328-172856_Qobuz.jpg (118.91 KiB) Viewed 477 times
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2