Turntable Mats

Georgi

Turntable Mats

Post by Georgi »

Hi guys, I want to ask if anyone has some experience with Wooden Bull Leather & Cork turntable mats?
Cheers.
Ivor

Re: Turntable Mats

Post by Ivor »

Not with those exact mats but... bear in mind if you add a mat you will be changing the VTA as the cart will sit higher. If you replace an existing mat try to get one the same thickness so the swap is straightforward.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Cyndale

Post by Cyndale »

Ivor wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:24 pm Not with those exact mats but... bear in mind if you add a mat you will be changing the VTA as the cart will sit higher. If you replace an existing mat try to get one the same thickness so the swap is straightforward.
You just can't beat a wise old head (metaphorically speaking) for advice!
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

I've never used those, but I have had excellent results from an achromat (which aren't cheap but not ridiculous either) but as Ivor says, you have to make sure you keep the VTA the same as that definitely will change the sound.

good results can be obtained though for sure.
Do or do not, there is no try
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

I'm interested to hear we have a local user of the Achromat because I'm seeing a lot online about it. I slightly hate the felt mat on the Rega because quite a lot of the time it sticks to the record as you lift it, which suggests a lot of static on the go. I'll watch this thread with interest.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
mick

Post by mick »

I got one of those mats to replace the mat on my Technics SL 1200G.
It was a little warmer sounding than the original one.
I certainly prefer it to the rubber one.
Georgi

Post by Georgi »

Thanks for the response and advice.
I have about 6-7 different mats from various materials, but want to try Leather ones.