The BER nesscessities

Ivor

The BER nesscessities

Post by Ivor »

Ok hive mind…. I have a question related to nothing connected with HIFI!

I have an old house, circa 1900, it’s BER exempt but when selling an old house it good to have a healthy BER. Given that back in 2007 we completely renovated the house it should have a decent energy rating however the accepted criteria for assessing a BER came into being in 2009 I doubt if I have anything in the tender documents or builders spec confirming what the window company did or what insulation etc the builder fitted.
Obviously I do have (somewhere) the render and spec but it was pre BER and no proof that that was what actually done.

Has anyone been through this?
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
tony

Re: The BER nesscessities

Post by tony »

Don't go there. No solar panels. No wall insulation. Semi-detached you are looking at a rating that won't do you any favours. But you could get one circa 200 euro unless prices have gone mad and just keep it to yourself if not complimentary. We got a C3 on ours 10yrs ago because of a brand new boiler. Mid terrace, zoned heating and solar panels. I reckon the mid-terrace and solar delivered that result.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

There's good wall insulation except in protected rooms where coving etc quite rightly had to remain intact.

Average quote is about €350 incl vat and as you say, if we don't like we don't use it.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Cyndale

Post by Cyndale »

The houses in my estate were built around 1975, there are two for sale here at the moment, one has a BER rating of F (because it is not insulated). and the other has a BER rating of C1!
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Even the guys who provide BER certs are saying it's not worth it.
As a protected structure it is exempt and all the work done in 2007 would raise it above the market anyway... thanks lads.

Adrian

Post by Adrian »

IMO I think it would be better to leave alone.

If you really want to know your BER rating you could estimate it yourself.

Obtain floor area cert of the dwelling and your annual Electricity + Gas meter readings and do the calculation yourself.

Granted it will provide a result for total energy usage, not just heating and lighting.

The rating you calculate will probably be higher rating than the rating calculated by a BER assessor using the software, even though you would have included total energy usage.
Let the Good Times Roll...................
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Adrian wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:18 am If you really want to know your BER rating you could estimate it yourself.

Obtain floor area cert of the dwelling and your annual Electricity + Gas meter readings and do the calculation yourself.

Granted it will provide a result for total energy usage, not just heating and lighting.
Given that I use valve amps to both heat and light the house I think I'll just leave it... ;)