The HiFi Hospital

Gerry D

The HiFi Hospital

Post by Gerry D »

I have a favourite amplifier, an early model Cary Audio CAD 300 SEI, that use to keep me up at night for the best possible reason.
LP after LP for hours on end. Blissful listening to fine jazz and vocal music. I love the 300B sound.

A few years ago I got home from work and put on a record. Silence! What gives ? It was working last night.
Upon inspection I saw that a substance that resembled the foam on a quickly poured Coca Cola was on the top plate and spattered on the wall behind the amp. Drat and double drat! (Keeping it clean here)
Very recently, after several years of looking at it gathering dust and reminiscing about it I decide to try to have it repaired. I contacted Cary Audio directly and they said to send it over. They couldn’t commit to anything before having a look at it. So I looked into shipping etc. And realised it would be crazy expensive and would probably be liable to import taxes on return. This years model retails for about €6,000.00. Risky.

I asked the HiFiHospital to have a look at it. Brilliant !
Friendly and knowledgeable. Plain English spoken. Excellent communication and good value. 5 star service. Damian is an absolute Gent.

I now have a remarkable 26 year old amplifier singing like new and good for many years to come.

The HiFi Hospital - Highly recommended.
"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking" - Henry Ford
Adrian

Re: The HiFi Hospital

Post by Adrian »

Well done Gerry, it’s nice to hear a success story!!

The 300B is a special tube indeed, not sure how many forum members have one.

Cloney’s have a Feilks Audio Arioso 300B 8w amp, apparently Harbeth’s have never been heard to sound better!!

Any other members out there with 300B valve amps?
Let the Good Times Roll...................
ConorW

Post by ConorW »

Gerry
Good to hear that they are still going and hqve the expertise to work on such systems.

Must get my Wavac 300b looked at by them.
Lenco L75 Self build, Roksan Nima tonearm, Benz MicroGlider SL, AudioResearch PH7 phono, Luxman SQ-38U Integrated (or a Wavac MD300b),
BlueSound Node 2i, Auralic Vega, AudioNote AN/E Speakers.
naasbiker

Post by naasbiker »

Adrian, I have an Arion Audio 300B amp which i bought from Cloney many years ago and still going strong. Going to order replacement JJ Electronics 3000B valves so will be in contact with the hi-fi hospital to install and set up the bias.
Arion Audio were a small company in Norther Ireland but went out of business a few years after set-up.
Linn LP12, Ittok, Dynavector DV-20X2L, Lehmann Audio Black Cube, Arion Audio 300B, Living Voice Auditorium
Seán

Post by Seán »

Gerry that's really good to know. I am having problems with my Primare I21 integrated amplifier and I have just sent them a message. Late last week I noticed a loud clicking noise from it and there were interruptions with the sound too. On Saturday it wouldn't work at all. The lights were on but there is no sound so I powered it off. On Sunday I turned it on and it worked fine no clicking noises at all and I listened to music for about an hour and left it on standby. On Monday morning I listened to music again and the clicking noises had returned so I powered it off. On Monday evening there is no sound at all. I dropped in here to see if anybody else has used the HiFi Hospital. I am delighted they took good care of your amplifier.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Saxman

Post by Saxman »

Daniel who runs it iis brilliant and knows hi fi electronics inside out can't recvomendd him strongly enough
peelaaa

Post by peelaaa »

I also used Hifi hospital recently . They are very knowledgeable