Keep the CD Player (as backup)

james

Keep the CD Player (as backup)

Post by james »

I have been having lots of internet/network problems. Basically I need a new modem/router and Vodafone keeps telling me to reboot the old one. (They are finally giving me one and also -- finally -- set me up so I can use my mobile phone as a hotspot for internet. The new modem/router arrives next week. In the mean time no wifi.). The whole process has taken 3 weeks. The modem/router would reboot and randomly change to factory default settings (so I had to go back in and reset the wifi password so my streamer could see the network and my CD rips).

My network streaming audio does not work without the router and wifi.

I still have a CD player and used it for the first time in months. I even started to listen to records.

Moral -- keep the CD player.
"Change is Possible" [Parking Meter in Dundrum Shopping Centre]
Georgi

Re: Keep the CD Player (as backup)

Post by Georgi »

james wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:14 am I have been having lots of internet/network problems. Basically I need a new modem/router and Vodafone keeps telling me to reboot the old one. (They are finally giving me one and also -- finally -- set me up so I can use my mobile phone as a hotspot for internet. The new modem/router arrives next week. In the mean time no wifi.). The whole process has taken 3 weeks. The modem/router would reboot and randomly change to factory default settings (so I had to go back in and reset the wifi password so my streamer could see the network and my CD rips).

My network streaming audio does not work without the router and wifi.

I still have a CD player and used it for the first time in months. I even started to listen to records.

Moral -- keep the CD player.

Well, I haven't use my CD player since 2016, still have it somewhere in the wardrobe. 😀
Regarding the streamer, my one doesn't need router or WiFi to play files from my storage device, wired of course. Neither my MacMini needs those to play from my hard drive.
Still if you keep your local wifi network even without Internet, you should be able to play files from any storage device, no?
james

Post by james »

Georgi wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:47 am Well, I haven't use my CD player since 2016, still have it somewhere in the wardrobe. 😀
Regarding the streamer, my one doesn't need router or WiFi to play files from my storage device, wired of course. Neither my MacMini needs those to play from my hard drive.
Still if you keep your local wifi network even without Internet, you should be able to play files from any storage device, no?
Problem is the wifi is not working on the modem/router.
Georgi

Post by Georgi »

james wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:29 pm
Georgi wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:47 am Well, I haven't use my CD player since 2016, still have it somewhere in the wardrobe. 😀
Problem is the wifi is not working on the modem/router.
Then ask for replacement or buy a good one yourself.
SKY is sending me a new router, every now and again, even when I complained that its getting a bit slow.
james

Post by james »

Then ask for replacement or buy a good one yourself.
SKY is sending me a new router, every now and again, even when I complained that its getting a bit slow.
I am promised one next week but Vodafone need to send someone out to install it. (I told them I could do it myself but they insist on sending someone). They only admitted the the modem/router was faulty after two eircom technicians came to the house to check the line and told me it was the modem/router. (Vodafone also suggested it might be the cable from the connection in the wall to the router but fortunately I had a spare cable and it made no difference).

After a lot of messing they have given me data on my mobile phone so now I am back online.

Having said that -- Vodafone answer the phone fairly quickly (10 mins or less) and seem to be the best of a bad lot.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Yes it’s good to have a back up, listening to a CD can be very relaxing as distinct from hopping from song to song on a streamer.

WRT the router, I wonder could the issue be the power supply, connection pins? Plug / socket / cable issue?

Won’t have too long to wait before the new router arrives hopefully!
Let the Good Times Roll...................
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

If you're having persistent network/wireless issues then might be worth giving Kable Kings a buzz. I think these guys used to work for UPC at one point and then went out on their own. Check out their Facebook page and online reviews, seem to get high praise.
I keep meaning to get them out myself to install Ethernet cabling up to the attic as the route up is not straightforward.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
james

Post by james »

The modem/router continued to spontaneously reboot and reset to factory default settings. However last Thursday Vodafone finally replaced it and it now seems to be working. An annoying feature of the new model is that I had to download an app to my phone to be be able to change the settings (rather than logging in through a browser as before).