Amplifier Repair

Bannjo

Amplifier Repair

Post by Bannjo »

Hi All

I thought I might share with you the long and sad saga of my Larvadin IT integrated amp in the forlorn hope that you may be able to advise me on a resolution. I purchased the Lavardin amp from a board member about five years ago now. It was an original Larvardin IT, circa 2000, so about 20 years old. About two years ago, summer 2019, it developed a fault. The issue was a shorted left channel. I initially contacted Larvardin, they quoted me 1400€ to replace the power board plus 350€ for recap, plus postage. Virtually what I had paid for the unit second hand!

Anyone who knows this Lavardin will appreciate what a wonderful amp it is, and I was very keen to get it up and running again. I took the amp to my local HiFi dealer in Belfast, but they couldn’t help. Then in December 2019 I got in touch with the HiFi Hospital, Daniel was very helpful and hopeful he could identify and replace the relevant components.

However, they discovered that the manufacturer had scratched all markings off all devices making identifying these impossible. There were also no circuit diagrams, coupled with an unusual topography (apparently, the amplifier architecture is designed with some complex mini circuits and a design, which makes live measurement impossible). However, despite this initial prognosis, based on the absence of schematics and unusual design, Daniel agreed to proceed with trying to 'find a fix'.

After over 18 months with the HIFi Hospital, hampered of course by Covid lockdown delays etc. Daniel finally admitted defeat. He recorded numerous hours trying various approaches including different Op Amps, but all to no avail. He has been in the HiFi repair business for over 30 years, and this has been one of the most frustrating challenges he has ever faced and one of only a handful he has had to give up on.

I have long since moved on (I picked up a lovely Neodio NR600 integrated) so I am now left with a seemingly unfixable Lavardin IT. So as a last resort I was wondering if any of the more intrepid, or technically minded board members could suggest any other options or indeed might be interested in taking this on. Even consider selling for parts, or it could still be restored by Lavardin, as a virtually new amp (see above) if someone wanted to make me an offer.

Regards Bannjo
Fran
Site Admin

Re: Amplifier Repair

Post by Fran »

Yep, there's a few manufacturers who I think are (in)famous for this. This is why we need right to repair!

Sorry, I don't have any suggestions for you, and if the lads in hifi hospital can't fix it, then I would say you are totally out of luck bar sending back to Lavardin.
Do or do not, there is no try