DC Blockers

Equipment, accessory and music reviews
Raffa

DC Blockers

Post by Raffa »

Hi all,

I have a shameless plug for a guy based in Bulgaria who makes all things power conditioning. I got a great DC blocker off him a year ago for a song and and he has expanded his range to include more kit.

Details of the kit over at https://www.atlhifi.com/product-categor ... d-devices/ and, given the cost of plug in type filters, his kit is exceptionally well made and very well priced.
hudo

Re: DC Blockers

Post by hudo »

This is very interesting, since today I ordered EMI mains meter tester to see how much RF noise I have in my mains, specially during the day compared to late evening, when I think everything sounds so much better, want to verify if its EMI noise.
This for example https://www.atlhifi.com/shop/fully-asse ... -lpf-4000/ internally looks like Audioquest Niagara conditioner, for like 1/4 of price. And AQ works, it really reduces EMI noise to very low values, wonder if this does the same. @Raffa, do you have their filters, should we test with EMI meter when i get it?
♪♫ sound sommelier ♪♫
Pi2AES LPSU > Holo Spring 3 KTE > Music Hall 7.1 > PrimaLuna EVO 300 Hybrid > QA Concept 500
Maciej

Post by Maciej »

Hi,

I will be interested to hear a report from you guys since this is not overly expensive, and potentially beneficial.

Hudo, if you can let us know if there is any measurable difference in EMI noise, or would this be only based on your perception?
I had always sensation at the time I could have listened music in the middle of the night, that it sounds way better than during day time.
Was this due to more quite mains, or lack of daily noise from the outside, or excess of wine, or combination of them all?

I wonder if this device apart from filtering the noise, does not filer some of the musical microplankton or ambiance that is a part of recording?

Regards
Maciej
hudo

Post by hudo »

Maciej wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:25 pm Hi,

I will be interested to hear a report from you guys since this is not overly expensive, and potentially beneficial.

Hudo, if you can let us know if there is any measurable difference in EMI noise, or would this be only based on your perception?
I had always sensation at the time I could have listened music in the middle of the night, that it sounds way better than during day time.
Was this due to more quite mains, or lack of daily noise from the outside, or excess of wine, or combination of them all?

I wonder if this device apart from filtering the noise, does not filer some of the musical microplankton or ambiance that is a part of recording?

Regards
Maciej
As soon as i get this EMI tester I will post measurements here!
What motivated me into ordering this tester is a short video from one YT reviewer (posted to private Telegram chat room, not on YT) where he measured the noise during the day, directly from the wall socket (~400-500mV), from Tacima power strip which should have some basic filtering (even little bit more noise ~ 500mV!), and then from AQ Niagara (~10-20mV - great results). But during the night noise from the wall dropped to AQ levels - around 10-20mV! So was wondering if this Atl Audio power filters can do there, if they can match AQ Niagara...

With EMI filtered out, SNR noise levels should be way lower, which should bring much blacker background in the music and more micro-details audible from that, at least i hope:)
Sometimes problems can be with regenerators, like PS Audio power plants, but as with filters, i still didn't see conclusive evidence or experience where it always improves the sound - people say that some do, some actually degrade the sound, so you have to test it in your system. Also, its the best to use them on front end electronics, like DACs and preamps, which are much more sensitive to the noise.
♪♫ sound sommelier ♪♫
Pi2AES LPSU > Holo Spring 3 KTE > Music Hall 7.1 > PrimaLuna EVO 300 Hybrid > QA Concept 500
hudo

Post by hudo »

Got EM tester yesterday, quite fast delivery from Alliexpress! It tests 10khz-10mhz range.

Have to say, numbers looked horrible when i started testing the power.
Evening and late evening: 700-1000mV
Morning: 10-30mV
Afternoon: 100-200mV
Turn on TV adds around 100-150mV of noise. Didn't check yet other switching PSU units i have around my hifi ...
Good values are considered below ~30mV.

Have to do few more tests, specially late evening and night, but for now looks like the cleanest power is in the morning.
♪♫ sound sommelier ♪♫
hudo

Post by hudo »

Raffa wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:25 pm Hi all,

I have a shameless plug for a guy based in Bulgaria who makes all things power conditioning. I got a great DC blocker off him a year ago for a song and and he has expanded his range to include more kit.

Details of the kit over at https://www.atlhifi.com/product-categor ... d-devices/ and, given the cost of plug in type filters, his kit is exceptionally well made and very well priced.
Raffa please feel free to borrow EMI tester if you want, i am in Dundrum/Dublin.
Would be interesting to see if AltHifi reduces the noise like Aq Niagara does.
♪♫ sound sommelier ♪♫
Maciej

Post by Maciej »

hudo wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:41 pm Got EM tester yesterday, quite fast delivery from Alliexpress! It tests 10khz-10mhz range.

Have to say, numbers looked horrible when i started testing the power.
Evening and late evening: 700-1000mV
Morning: 10-30mV
Afternoon: 100-200mV
Turn on TV adds around 100-150mV of noise. Didn't check yet other switching PSU units i have around my hifi ...
Good values are considered below ~30mV.

Have to do few more tests, specially late evening and night, but for now looks like the cleanest power is in the morning.
Interesting results, and basically reflecting impressions from all the listening sessions at different times.
It definitely sounds best at late night time, or in the morning 3-4am.
It would be great if Raffa could test how clean is the power with and without ATL DC blocker from exact same power sockets to confirm usefulness of it.