Hi-Fi Plus Subscriptions (Brexit)

markof

Re: Hi-Fi Plus Subscriptions (Brexit)

Post by markof »

Sloop John B wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:14 pm
markof wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:55 pm FYI

Digital editions of Hi FI News, Hi Fi Choice and Stereophile are free with a public library card (also free).

Mark
Tell me more, how does no avail of this with a library card?

Thanks

.sjb
It can all be done online. Try: https://www.librariesireland.ie/elibrary for info.

I use the apps, Libby for magazines and Pressreader for newspapers, on an iPad.
On the music front Gramophone, BBC Music, Jazz Times, Rolling Stone, Mojo and Uncut are also available along with the Naxos and Freegal streaming services.
The Library services are really fantastic and are ofter overlooked.

Mark
Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X
peelaaa

Post by peelaaa »

I have been using the library magazine access for a while now and its a great service but a bit clunky on my laptop. Its free so not complaining as not much is free these days.

As for deliveries getting stuck in customs. A kind forum member from usa on pink fish media offered an old SUT for free if I gave some money to an animal charity which I did, However, the sut got stuck in irish customs and then got returned. The forum member was provided with no reasons, he was out of pocket as well. Very annoying for him.

Recently I have had some 2nd hand parts delivered from GB into a UPS collection point in NI, very easy to organise. Short drive up, do a shop in sainsburys and then its yours pain free.
Amazon do similar and some Ebay sellers have click/collect options in NI too.

I'm all for paying my way in this world but customs/an post are shooting themselves in the foot with their non productive rules.
peelaaa

Post by peelaaa »

Fran wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:16 pm
I need to get the relevant TARIC Number which I presume is the new name for the former TARIFF Number?
Yes as far as I know. And there is a useful calculator here on the An Post website that you can use. https://www.anpost.com/Commerce/Parcel- ... odity-code. In some countries they call this HS6 number, and I think in some places IOSS.
The seller should be advised of the correct TARIC Reference number and that should be entered on the Customs Declaration along with other necessary details
Yes, exactly
What then is the talk of 'Electronic Customs Declarations'?
For small sellers, as far as I can tell, what they need to do is make sure that the post office adds that in on the customs declaration. The idea is that one the post office the small seller is using enters that, then it should populate across to An Post.
fact that VAT has been paid and a reference number is given on the form
As far as I can see in their process, the presence or absence of the TARIC code on the customs declaration comes before they even look at VAT or tariffs. So you don't even get a chance to say that the VT is paid, or to pay the VAT.
that will open the floodgates and hopefully bring An Post to its senses.
It would be great to think so, but I think it simply involves cost/labour for them and they either can't or won't afford it.

From the USA I used addresspal and got very good results. The cost for the sender to send the parcel within the USA to addresspal was low. Then addresspal sort out the customs, I got a bill for VAT etc which was based on the smaller postage and item cost. Then a flat fee of 15.99 from addresspal. Overall this worked out much cheaper than international post from the USA. Also, bear in mind that since Trump stripped out the USPS, all international post is gone to hell.

I recently bought some materials for a speaker repair from Taiwan - they sent it last Tuesday by DHL. I got the request for VAT Friday morning, and the parcel will land here Monday. Postage was 30usd and worth every penny. So "proper" couriers seem to be the way to go.

Fran
Hi Fran, Do you need TARIC codes if sending an item to the USA too, or is just for imports as I recently sent something to USA with UPS and they didn't ask for the code, just the description of the item. Maybe they entered the code themselves on the customs declaration.
Saxman

Post by Saxman »

Re the parcel I mentioned that I thought had disappeared into space.
Recieved notification from an post this morning requesting 25 euro to release from customs. Cost of items in package 95 euro.
Was and am looking for a dvd player from richer sounds Belfast.
Asked them question in respect of any charges etc on goods from the North they said. None and if there are they pay them.
Don't get that as NI is part of UK
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

That's the whole point of the "controversial" Northern Ireland protocol. It gives NI the best of both worlds.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Rob.

Post by Rob. »

When easons closed due to covid I signed up to what hif, good value and straight to your door, yes it's no HIFI+ but still something to read over the lock down months.

https://www.magazinesdirect.com/mobile/ ... html?j=WHI
Meridian 501, 556, 508.24
Nait5i
Google CCA
Dynaudio contour 1.3mkii
Nordost cables
Rega p2, denon dl110,
Lots more around the place.
hudo

Post by hudo »

Not sure if this was already mentioned in this thread, but HiFi Choice and HiFi News are 10£ for full year, digital editions:
https://www.mytimemedia.co.uk/avtech10/

I read it on the tablet, works great.
♪♫ sound sommelier ♪♫
Pi2AES LPSU > Holo Spring 3 KTE > Music Hall 7.1 > PrimaLuna EVO 300 Hybrid > QA Concept 500
Sloop John B

Post by Sloop John B »

markof wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:35 pm
Sloop John B wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:14 pm
markof wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:55 pm FYI

Digital editions of Hi FI News, Hi Fi Choice and Stereophile are free with a public library card (also free).

Mark
Tell me more, how does no avail of this with a library card?

Thanks

.sjb
It can all be done online. Try: https://www.librariesireland.ie/elibrary for info.

I use the apps, Libby for magazines and Pressreader for newspapers, on an iPad.
On the music front Gramophone, BBC Music, Jazz Times, Rolling Stone, Mojo and Uncut are also available along with the Naxos and Freegal streaming services.
The Library services are really fantastic and are ofter overlooked.

Mark

Thanks, that works perfectly and is quite acceptable on an iPad. (Except that I keep clicking thinking things are links!)

.sjb