Isolation solutions

Maciej

Isolation solutions

Post by Maciej »

Hello,

I just came across this comprehensive article regarding different solutions on how to treat vibrations in audio systems.
Enjoy the read.

http://www.audiodrom.net/en/special-edi ... on-systems
Saxman

Re: Isolation solutions

Post by Saxman »

Hi Maciej
Apologies for late response, A very interesting article indeed, albeit a bit of a minefield if one was trying to achieve the best solution for their own systems.
A lot of factors would have to be taken into consideration ie floor construction, type of racks platforms,speaker placement,room size etc.
Could also be rather costly if one was to try numerous types of isolation products.
For my own part I have tried sand boxes, wooden cones, herbies feet, MDF boards ,rubber mats etc.
In the end I took the plunge and went for Townshend Seismic Podiums.
I purchased two for the speakers and one for the turntable, My music room has a wooden floor on top of a concrete slab.
The author of the article stated that the Townshend Podiums were free of HiFi artefacts and wow effects.
That statement is correct indeed,I was getting a slight bloom from my system and no matter what I done I couldn’t get rid of it.
The Townshend Podiums worked a treat and produced a clearer sound with no adverse effects whatsoever.
With the speakers on the platforms you can touch the top of them and move them left to right front to back with one finger.
They are totally isolated from the floor or other vibrations.
Not saying they are everyone’s cup of tea but they certainly worked for me.
Regarding the isolation of speaker cables from the floor. I just cannot get my head around this.I tried egg boxes and there was not one jot of a difference.
In my opinion it is snake oil ,however reading various forums there is a mixed opinion about fifty,fifty for and against.
We are all different and hear different things in different ways, beauty is in the eye of the beholder as they say.
Anyway thanks for the article .
Kind Regards
Alan
Maciej

Post by Maciej »

Hi Alan,

As it is mentioned there someone system has to be resolving, and good enough quality to reveal the difference in between different insolation devises.
And as you said something that works with particular piece of equipment, does not mean it works with another one.
My though is that system synergy and the room impact is equally important, and then the rest like cleanness of the power supply, isolation comes second.
For more than 3 years I was using levitation magnetic platform under my tube CD player and I found it working very well. But now it seats in the press as it does not work with the CD transport, as it smears and softens the sound slightly.
I was tempted to buy Franc Audio ceramic feet, but someone who was selling it (after he sold it) told me that it's much better to invest in something else as it his case the change was unnoticeable.
I thought that speakers should be placed in rigid, firm support to make sure that the energy is pushed forward from the driver, so something rocking is not desirable?
My friend uses Isoacoustics Gaia speaker isolation feet, and he claims that they work for him marvellously. I have never heard his speakers without, so I can not confirm it makes any difference.

Regards
Maciej
Saxman

Post by Saxman »

Hi Macieg
The Townshend platforms certainly work for me, they sure don't rock the sheer weight of them wouldn't allow.
The four feet on each of the podiums are mounted on adjustable springs which give you the floor clearance.
The sound certainly projects from the speakers and fils the room.
You are welcome to listen to them anytime.
Cheers
Alan
Rocker

Post by Rocker »

Hello Maciej,

Could you please give details of your magnetic stand. Thanks.
It's OK, if there is no bread I will eat cake.

Beware of a thin chef!
Saxman

Post by Saxman »

Hi Maciej
Forget to mention the power to the system runs through two isotek mains conditioners and the turntable through a uniteruptable power supply converts AC to DC then back to AC it provides a totally stable supply
Cheers
Alan
Maciej

Post by Maciej »

Saxman wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:36 pm Hi Maciej
Forget to mention the power to the system runs through two isotek mains conditioners and the turntable through a uniteruptable power supply converts AC to DC then back to AC it provides a totally stable supply
Cheers
Alan
Hi Alan,

It seems that your system is well considered. I am way behind and still struggling to get the basic right.

When it comes to clear power, just yesterday I was watching Paul from PS Audio talking about it. It's probably semi promotional, but overall well presented series, as he always does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FD_2RKpWkYw

Thanks for invitation, and post Christmas I'll talk to you so perhaps I can come over in one of the weekends.

Regards
Maciej
Maciej

Post by Maciej »

Rocker wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:51 pm Hello Maciej,

Could you please give details of your magnetic stand. Thanks.
Hi,

it's one of those older models, RELAXA 1.

https://www.tnt-audio.com/accessories/relaxa1_e.html

Their current range is way too expensive for my pocket.

https://funaudio.com.au/brands/sap-audio/

Regards
Maciej
Saxman

Post by Saxman »

Hi Maciej
Your welcome
Alan