Selling with PayPal ?

Gerry D

Selling with PayPal ?

Post by Gerry D »

Hi All
I have never sold via PayPal and I have a couple of seemingly serious enquiries on some stuff from abroad.
Any advice?
Risks? What to watch out for ?

Thanks,
Gerry
🎶
"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking" - Henry Ford
Georgi

Re: Selling with PayPal ?

Post by Georgi »

Hard to say these days. If it's low cost gear, say €2-300, sure you can go ahead, but for expensive one I would recommend bank transfer.
hudo

Post by hudo »

I sold few hifi things on ebay with paypal. Can't say i am satisfied with them both, mostly because of the crazy fees they charge (total around 15-20%, depending on situation. Prices were up to 2000€). Thats if you're using paypal protection (mandatory on ebay), otherwise paypal is free i think. So I would try to avoid paypal protection, or let the buyer pays it since its protecting him, not you, or try to negotiate bank transfer. In either way, I always say to buyers that i am not shipping anything before I see money on my paypal or bank account, and that shipping damage is their risk, so they should use shipping insurance (dhl, ups, fedex...). I don't accept any other payments (except Revolut maybe), since there are many scammers out there that will try to use 3rd party payment provider and force you to pay something or ship without receiving the money.
♪♫ sound sommelier ♪♫
Pi2AES LPSU > Holo Spring 3 KTE > Music Hall 7.1 > PrimaLuna EVO 300 Hybrid > QA Concept 500
Sloop John B

Post by Sloop John B »

I’d imagine you need to get the buyer to use the “friends and family” option (or whatever it’s called currently rather than the “buying a product or service. This should avoid the paypal protection where it seems the buyer is king and money can be taken back months after the sale.

If there are big amounts involved the buyer should be well capable of doing a bank transfer (and it would be cheaper for them).

.sjb
peelaaa

Post by peelaaa »

Hi,

I've sold and bought hifi items internationally online. Always had good outcome on here and Pink Fish Media, Whats Best Forum, and the art of sound. Ebay can be so-so as some dodgy sellers on there plus ebay fees are extortionate and you need a masters degree in accountancy to understand them.

I don't use Paypal unless no other option. Always prefer bank transfer, ensure posted item either bought or sold is insured and you receive the money before sending. Ask loads of questions when buying as you can figure out who the scammers are that way.

cheers
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Yeah - I have to be honest and say that if the amount was for more than a few hundred I would stay away from paypal. Paypal will always protect the buyer first, and chargebacks etc are possible, so you end up without the money and without the piece of hifi.
Do or do not, there is no try
Gerry D

Post by Gerry D »

Thanks to All for your helpful responses.
I decided not to use it and will now only deal with buyer collects upon receipt of payment.

I’ve experienced several scammers offer to pay through shipping companies and some of the have even sent me screenshots of bogus webpages.

I always try to keep a positive outlook about people in general but there certainly are a lot of gougers out there.

We never stop learning 🎶
"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking" - Henry Ford