Strange Sound from loudspeaker after changing house power supply to smart meter

Saxman

Strange Sound from loudspeaker after changing house power supply to smart meter

Post by Saxman »

Hi All
Here is a strange one after the electric meter was changed to a smart meter I got a sound like a mobile phone occasionally through the left floor standing speaker after switching it on.
The speaker is located about two feet from the side wall which has on the outside the electric meter box
I heard that with these new meters ESB automatically read the meter every half hour.
The sound does not happen that frequently and causes no inconvenience as it only occurs now and then.
I have written to ESB who subcontracted the work out to KN Group.
Will be interested in the response
Anybody suffer the same problem
Cheers
Alsn
Fran
Site Admin

Re: Strange Sound from loudspeaker after changing house power supply to smart meter

Post by Fran »

Hi Alan,

undoubtedly the connection ping from the smart meter is being picked up by the amps, in the very same way as a mobile phone would be.... if its really bothering you, I think you'll have to do a bit of chasing down. Do you only hear it with vinyl and never with CD? IF so, then I would look at moving the phonostage physically further away from the meter first. IF you hear it on all sources, then I would try moving the preamp first.Its all a pain I know!
Do or do not, there is no try
Saxman

Re: Strange Sound from loudspeaker after changing house power supply to smart meter

Post by Saxman »

Hi Fran
Thanks the phono stage is far away as I can get it. Will try cds dvds etc and see if it continues.
Cheers
Alan
Saxman

Post by Saxman »

Problem partly solved A ESB guy called yesterday who had knowledge of audio.
He advised that smart meters have a sim card inside them and the system is probably picking up the signal from that.
He also advised they now have a different model of smart meter so will order one and replace the existing one.
See what happens.
Rgds
Alan