Looking for a woodworker

Brutus1968

Looking for a woodworker

Post by Brutus1968 »

Hi, I recently bought a second hand pair of Ditton 33 and altough the individual speakers are working, the cabinet has seen better days and a simple restoration is not a good idea. So I would like to create a new project for them updating the crossover capacitors, internal cabling, and building new cabinets.
I have already some ideas: I would like to use 18mm mdf, some internal bracing, similar dimensions (and keep the same internal volume) but a different position for mid and tweeter (more similar to the Yamaha NS-1000) in order to have a mirror and decentered pattern. I would reuse the internal soft material, the mid chamber (if possible) and the input connectors.
While I can take care of the electric part, I need a good woodworker with a hifi sensibility to do the rest, because I don't have either the proper tools and skills to complete a good job.
Do you have any name to suggest me? Or, in case you have the skills and tools above, would you be interested in accepting this job?
I live in Dublin D4, so I would prefer a person in the Dublin area because I don't have a car.

Best
Max (spin the black circle)
robbie

Re: Looking for a woodworker

Post by robbie »

Try Bear Creation in Delgany. Brian is a superb cabinet maker , https://www.bearcreation.com/design.
Brutus1968

Post by Brutus1968 »

Hi Robbie,

Thanks a lot for your suggestion. Maybe I have found already a person (a friend of a colleague), but due to our holidays during the summer we couldn't meet yet.
The distance from Dublin could be a problem, but I will consider Bear Creation as a back-up.

Best
rahman

Post by rahman »

I can recommend Michael Devoy and Sons -they're based in Crumlin - and CNC'd the front panel for my DIY speakers.

Quality job, really personable and, imo, pretty cost effective.

Cheers
Adrian
Brutus1968

Post by Brutus1968 »

Hi Adrian,

Thanks a lot for your sugestion. They are also based in Dublin which makes a great difference to me. I am still trying to understand if the person who offered initially is still interested, but at a certain point I will have to make a decision: I am quite tired to see those two speakers lying mute in the corner of the bedroom.

Best