Darko doorstops

Sloop John B

Darko doorstops

Post by Sloop John B »

John Darko used doorstops to stabilise equipment and gets asked many questions about them

https://darko.audio/2022/01/an-update- ... doorstops/

Currently Lidl has them at €3 each in their centre isle.

.sjb
Brutus1968

Re: Darko doorstops

Post by Brutus1968 »

I use a similar one to help limit the vibrations resonating on the top of the cabinet of my cd player.

Good to see they can be used for other hifi issues. I wouldn't be too surprised to see, sooner or later, an audiophile version selling at 300 euro...

Best
Max (spin the black circle)
hudo

Post by hudo »

Ikea chopping board and lidl door stop, the happiness that you at least saved somewhere after spending thousands and thousands on components...
♪♫ sound sommelier ♪♫
Pi2AES LPSU > Holo Spring 3 KTE > Music Hall 7.1 > PrimaLuna EVO 300 Hybrid > QA Concept 500
markof

Post by markof »

Keep an eye out for Lidl garden kneeling pads.
A pair works wonders for decoupling a REL sub from a suspended solid wood floor.
Comes in green too.

Mark
Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X
Cyndale

Post by Cyndale »

Directly from REL's website... We do not recommend the use of spikes or platforms as they do not work well on RELs or any high-quality sub. Remember, the goal is to couple the subwoofer to the floor and transfer the energy into the room.
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Cyndale wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:11 pm Directly from REL's website... We do not recommend the use of spikes or platforms as they do not work well on RELs or any high-quality sub. Remember, the goal is to couple the subwoofer to the floor and transfer the energy into the room.
A pair works wonders for decoupling a REL sub from a suspended solid wood floor.
On a suspended floor they will work - otherwise your floor would be like a resonating box of an acoustic guitar Been there myself
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
markof

Post by markof »

Cyndale wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:11 pm Directly from REL's website... We do not recommend the use of spikes or platforms as they do not work well on RELs or any high-quality sub. Remember, the goal is to couple the subwoofer to the floor and transfer the energy into the room.
The sub is located in my office - a converted attic.
I initially tried the sub directly on the floor but I could not adequately control the boom generated from floor resonance despite sub placement in multiple sites. I get just the right level of bass with the sub on the pads under a desk and it doesn't spill over into the rest of the house.

I guess not every listening room conforms to REL's standard model or maybe it's a matter of personal taste.
Either way the remedy did not cost an arm and a leg - maybe €10 per pad - and it's all in the analog domain :-).

Ivor's guitar analogy is spot on in my case.

Mark
Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X
Cyndale

Post by Cyndale »

Probably the attic is the problem, acting like a boombox itself! I have suspended wooden floors in my house, I don't have any issues with my REL Stadium!