Repair Shops?

meep

Repair Shops?

Post by meep »

Hi folks

I have a buddy with a cherished CD player that has some kind of fault that's causing the tray mechanism to stick.

Does anyone know any reliable place that could diagnose and repair?

Thx.
Fran
Site Admin

Re: Repair Shops?

Post by Fran »

Only one that gets mentioned here again and again is hifi hospital.....
Do or do not, there is no try
meep

Post by meep »

Indeed. He was looking at them but came across some fairly poor reviews. Anyone got good experience?
Seán

Post by Seán »

I left equipment in to the HiFi hospital for repair and was less than satisfied with the service and the way I was dealt with. I cannot recommend them.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Sloop John B

Post by Sloop John B »

Thanks Sean, good to know, particularly with what happened to WitchHat in the UK recently.

It’s a great pity as hifi in general is an ideal candidate for the circular economy.

In 2016 I dealt with Daruiz from Abi audio who DRd my Naim Nap 300 but I don’t know if he’s still around but I could recommend him.

.sjb
hudo

Post by hudo »

I fixed amp and headphone amp there, no complains for me. Daniel, technician there, seemed very knowledgeable and nice guy. Only thing, if I have to mention something, repair can take some time. I wasn't in a hurry so wasn't pushing it
♪♫ sound sommelier ♪♫
Pi2AES LPSU > Holo Spring 3 KTE > Music Hall 7.1 > PrimaLuna EVO 300 Hybrid > QA Concept 500
Brutus1968

Post by Brutus1968 »

I have the same feeling as hudo: I left a valve preamp to Daniel months ago with a long list of problems to fix. So far he solved everything except one, for which he is waiting to find the right components, as decided in the original scheme. So my first impression is that he is well competent and meticulous, and this goes at the expense of the time needed for the intervention.

The problem of the cd player tray most of the times is due to its belt; if the player is old (or has remained inactive for long) and the belt has never been replaced I would try that first: it's cheap and doesn't require high skills. Sometimes even a good cleaning of the belt followed by heat treatment with an hair dryer (to restore its original round shape) can solve the problem.

Best
Max (spin the black circle)
Saxman

Post by Saxman »

I have had quite a bit of work done by Daniel and found him to be excellent yes it can take time but certainly no complaints whatsoever