Squaring the circle: the story of Hipgnosis

For everything else..... try not to spill your drinks OK?
Brutus1968

Squaring the circle: the story of Hipgnosis

Post by Brutus1968 »

Just watched this art/music documentary about Hipgnosis, directed by Anton Corbjin. The story is narrated by Aubrey Powell and there are interviews to many of the artist they worked for. It is a honest biography of all their successes, problems, excesses and failures happened during their impressive artistic trajectory. Highly recommended.

Best
Max (spin the black circle)
JAW

Re: Squaring the circle: the story of Hipgnosis

Post by JAW »

I watched that a while ago and thought it was very good. The late Storm comes across as not being a particularly nice person but maybe that's what it takes. Part of the pleasure of buying an lp, with a sleeve designed by Hipgnosis, when I was teenager was going over the cover again and again on the bus or train home looking for little details. I have to say that most of the concepts just went straight over my head, and even when explained in the documentary I struggled to make the connection with some of them, for example, flying to Hawaii to take a photo of a sheep to be printed as a 35mm photo on an album called Are You Normal by 10CC with Are You Normal in oversized type on the cover. Still, they got away with it!
But the documentary is well worth a look as a reminder of how crazy the music business was in the early seventies.
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Where can the documentary be found lads?

Is it on one of the main networks?
Do or do not, there is no try
JAW

Post by JAW »

Hi Fran, I watched it on Netflix a month or so ago.
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Excellent, I'll find that and put it on the list
Do or do not, there is no try