What are you listening two?

fergus

Re: What are you listening two?

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:05 pm

Two samples:

Haydn Symphony No. 80 Giovanni Antonini Kammerorchester Basel (Haydn2032 live)

And I really love the 60th
Haydn Symphony No. 60 "Il Distratto" Giovanni Antonini Il Giardino Armonico (Haydn2032 live)

They were released as separate CDs volumes one to 10 .
I bought the 10 CD set from JPC, it's only €39.99 for the first 10 CDs:
https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail ... m/10831730
Thank you very much fro those YT clips, Seán. I will have a look at a later stage.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Seán

Post by Seán »

Well yes Fergus these are lovely performances and are beautifully recorded too.

Joseph Haydn
Symphony No. 6, 7 & 8

Hanover Band
Roy Goodman conducting

I only have three CDs of their Haydn recordings, I had better get more of them.
Last edited by Seán on Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

And back to Dvořák.

Antonín Dvořák
Symphony No. 8

Czech Philharmonic Orchestra
Vaclav Neumann conducting

The Eigth was recorded in the early seventies. The CPO is a fabulous orchestra, the woodwinds are glorious, it is very well recorded too. That said the rumble of the CD in the player is very annoying. I have listened to this performance several times now and it may replace the Szell/CO recording in my affections.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

For today

Gregorio Allegri
Miserere

The Sixteen
Harry Christophers

I cannot adaquately express in words how good this performance actually is, it is spine tingling, it is beautiful. I used to listen to it on Good Friday but have neglected to do so over the last few years. Why oh why I ask myself.
Highly recommended.
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Thanks for reminding me, Sean. I still think the Tallis Scholars might shade it for me, but it's a close run thing. Listening now.

Incidentally, track 7 on that album "When David Heard" is another of my absolute favourites. I Heard Vox Luminis perform it at the NCH a good few years back and it was only GORGEOUS. In fact it was so gorgeous they sang it again as an encore.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Seán

Post by Seán »

Diapason wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:40 pm Thanks for reminding me, Sean. I still think the Tallis Scholars might shade it for me, but it's a close run thing. Listening now.

Incidentally, track 7 on that album "When David Heard" is another of my absolute favourites. I Heard Vox Luminis perform it at the NCH a good few years back and it was only GORGEOUS. In fact it was so gorgeous they sang it again as an encore.
I listened to Miserere again earlier this afternoon and then I listened to 'When David Heard' again and yes, it is fabulous.
Seán

Post by Seán »

It's a very long time since I last listened to this recording:

Joseph Haydn
The Seven Last Words of Our Saviour on the Cross

Amadeus Quartet

I rarely listen to a couple of hours of chamber music in one sitting. Well today is Good Friday so I decided to indulge myself once again. This is a splendid performance. I might listen to it again later today.

I am reminded of the time many years ago when Fergus and I enjoyed a performance of the Haydn piece by the marvellous (RTÉ) Vanbrugh String Quartet in the RC Church in Rathmines, now that was special. That was at a time when RTÉ pretended to support rather than shaft the arts.
Seán

Post by Seán »

Whenever I want to listen to JS Bach's Easter Oratorio I know that I have a few to choose from but I always reach for this first:

Johann Sebastian Bach
Easter Oratorio

Collegium Vocale Gent
Philippe Herreweghe

This is 42 minutes of pure joy.

Play it again Seán
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:36 pm Holst: The Planets [Stokowski]

Terrific music.
Terrific music making.
Ah Fergus, I knew that the LP cover was very familiar so I checked my collection and I have a copy of it. I bought that same LP on my 21st birthday in 1978. I cannot remember why I bought it, perhaps it was recommenced to me. I haven't listened to it in a very long time. I must give it a spin tomorrow,
Last edited by Seán on Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:36 pm Holst: The Planets [Stokowski]

Terrific music.
Terrific music making.
This might interest you, if not, no harm done.