What music are you listening to currently?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
Seán

Re: What music are you listening to currently?

Post by Seán »

tweber wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:41 pm Image

https://liviarecords.com/product/louis-the-first/

Remember seeing him on RTE in the late 80's, often with Jim Doherty. Jazz wasn't necessarily my thing but guitar music of any kind was. He was mega imho
I went to many gigs in Conways and JJ Smiths Louis was magnificent.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
cybot

Post by cybot »

Brutus1968 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:22 pm
cybot wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:46 pm
Brutus1968 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:35 pm Some good deal at a record fair today in Inchicore.

IMG_20240330_163410.jpg

Best
Nice! Can’t make out the sleeve top left corner.
It's Joe Henry: the gospel according to water. 15 euro for a double vinyl which has barely seen a single needle so far.

Best
Ah fantastic bargain for someone who has just discovered him. I know that feeling only too well! You end up eventually buying the whole release catalogue.
Brutus1968

Post by Brutus1968 »

cybot wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:24 pm
cybot wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:46 pm

Nice! Can’t make out the sleeve top left corner.
It's Joe Henry: the gospel according to water. 15 euro for a double vinyl which has barely seen a single needle so far.

Best
Ah fantastic bargain for someone who has just discovered him. I know that feeling only too well! You end up eventually buying the whole release catalogue.
I am afraid you may be right... At the moment the one I would like to find is Scar. But I am not in a hurry.

Best
Max (spin the black circle)
Derek

Post by Derek »

Lambchop - Is a Woman

Claus put me on to Lambchop years ago and where I might neglect playing for a time, they never disappoint when I come back around.
Really well recorded to boot. Kurt Wagner is the main protagonist, the band has gone to multiple line up changes since its 1986 inception.
NigeAmp, NigeSD DAC, Airtight ATM-4, Ruark Accolades, Pink Triangle TT, Roksan Artimiz, Clearaudio Discovery, Tom Evans Microgroove Plus, Fran DAC, Dalkey Audio Interconnects.
Brutus1968

Post by Brutus1968 »

The name of Clodagh Simonds somehow stick into my mind since I first read her name many years ago among the collaborators of Mike Oldfield' first records. Few years ago I saw again that name; this time she was the main mind in a project called Fovea Hex. And even this time the name of the collaborators attracted my attention: Brian Eno, Robert Fripp, Steven Wilson, … Impressive. But I didn't buy any record: maybe the fact they published EP rather than LP, or maybe I wasn't ready yet.
Fast forward to present. In the last days I have been listening to various folk music of the 70s; bands like Fairport C., Incredible String Band, Steeleye Span, etc. Not everything is my cup of tea, but I started reading more about it and I finally came to the Irish band Mellow Candle. That was the first Clodagh Simonds band which received much attention, and their only record (Swaddling Songs) is a real gem. So now I thought it was time to close the circle and buy also some Fovea Hex record. I downloaded Neither Speak Nor Remain Silent (from Bandcamp). Well, it is music that requires the right mood, but once you are there it is absolutely fascinating and moving. Even if it is the product of a group of musicians (band+collaborators) everything is perfectly blended and it is impossible to follow what each one is doing (or simply you don't bother doing that). They are not touring in this period, but I hope they will start again soon.

https://foveahex.bandcamp.com/

Best
Max (spin the black circle)
tweber

Post by tweber »

Derek wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:58 am Image

Lambchop - Is a Woman

Claus put me on to Lambchop years ago and where I might neglect playing for a time, they never disappoint when I come back around.
Really well recorded to boot. Kurt Wagner is the main protagonist, the band has gone to multiple line up changes since its 1986 inception.
One of my favourite bands, Nixon obviously but pretty much anything they've released is worth a listen. No strangers to Irish venues - I think Kurt is touring here soon in fact....here tis https://www.nch.ie/news/national-concer ... -lambchop/
Claus is a man of taste!
Derek

Post by Derek »

Been and gone in January, never knew he was playing the NCH.
NigeAmp, NigeSD DAC, Airtight ATM-4, Ruark Accolades, Pink Triangle TT, Roksan Artimiz, Clearaudio Discovery, Tom Evans Microgroove Plus, Fran DAC, Dalkey Audio Interconnects.
tweber

Post by tweber »

Derek wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:22 pm Been and gone in January, never knew he was playing the NCH.
Ah shite, sorry, genuinely thought it was next month. Heard him interviewed on radio recently but obviously it must have been further back than I thought.
Cyndale

Post by Cyndale »

Brutus1968 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:40 am
cybot wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:24 pm

Best
I am afraid you may be right... At the moment the one I would like to find is Scar. But I am not in a hurry.

Best
Love Joe Henry, I have these LPs...

Shuffletown
Murder of Crows
Kindness of the World
Reverie (double LP)
Thrum (double LP)
cybot

Post by cybot »

Just thought I’d post this especially for those in the know. Curiously this item was listed on Spindizzy near the end of last year. A 6 Lp version no less. Couldn’t believe it or the price either. Went for it anyway. So glad I did. A beautiful insight into the (mostly)Delia mode. Anyway for those even a little intrigued it’s also listed on this year’s RSD list.

A long standing ‘Holy Grail’ release for fans of Delia Derbyshire & BBC Radiophonic Workshop. First Ever Official Release of Inventions For Radio!!

The BBC’s Third Programme aired four radio broadcasts between January 1964 and September 1965, collectively known as Inventions for Radio.

They were ground-breaking in both form and content, conceived by playwright Barry Bermange and consisting of the voices of the general public answering questions on four themes, one for each programme: dreams, the existence of God, life after death and ageing. At a time when it was unheard of to give a media platform to anyone perceived as being of low socio-economic status, the broadcasts generated many complaints for the “rough” voices of its participants.

Delia Derbyshire was assigned by the Radiophonic Workshop to edit and add electronic music/ effects. The collaborative result is dreamlike and mesmerizing, an audial window to another era. For many years Derbyshire was not credited for her contribution, nor were the broadcasts available commercially, although they still managed to acquire something of a cult following.

This boxset includes one LP for each broadcast and two further LPs of additional material. There is a 20-page booklet with extensive notes by Mark Ayres (Producer) and David Butler, (one of the lead researchers and curators of the Delia Derbyshire Archive and co-founder of Delia Derbyshire Day).

The insight into Derbyshire’s archive, her music and its influences and her collaboration with Bermange is fascinating, providing context for these extraordinary pieces which have been the most elusive of Twentieth Century classics until now.