RSD ‘24

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
cybot

Re: RSD ‘24

Post by cybot »

Brutus1968 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:16 pm
cybot wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:27 pm
Brutus1968 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:47 pm I was able to get 3 titles:
Future Sound Of London: ISDN (2LP+bonus tracks)
Scott Walker: Tilt (2LP 45rpm)
Blues Incorporated 62-65 BBC live

Could not find Held By Tree's Solace, which disppeared from Spindizzy's list, so probably didn't get pressed in time.

Best
Nice pickings! Had a brief listen to Held By Tree's ‘Solace’, a new name for me. I see they’re heavily influenced by Talk Talk/Mark Hollis.
From what I understand they are some of the musicians who worked with Talk Talk, trying to reproduce the same atmospheres. Not sure they will reproduce the same magic.

Best
Nobody could. ‘Spirit of Eden’ and ‘Laughing Stock’ cannot be replicated.

How are you getting on with Tilt ;)

The FSOL album is amazing. When it came out first it was released as a single Lp in a black cover with a magnet. I was relieved when they finally came to their senses and rereleased it as a double vinyl set but losing the mysterious black sleeve for a white one. Needless to say there was a huge jump in sound quality. Side 4 was different too as far as I remember. The bonus cuts probably represent that.
Brutus1968

Post by Brutus1968 »

cybot wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:57 am
cybot wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:27 pm

Nice pickings! Had a brief listen to Held By Tree's ‘Solace’, a new name for me. I see they’re heavily influenced by Talk Talk/Mark Hollis.
From what I understand they are some of the musicians who worked with Talk Talk, trying to reproduce the same atmospheres. Not sure they will reproduce the same magic.

Best

The FSOL album is amazing. When it came out first it was released as a single Lp in a black cover with a magnet. I was relieved when they finally came to their senses and rereleased it as a double vinyl set but losing the mysterious black sleeve for a white one. Needless to say there was a huge jump in sound quality. Side 4 was different too as far as I remember. The bonus cuts probably represent that.
Tilt was not a surprise: I already had the CD (now for sale) and I also have other works Walker has made after his "resurrection". I got first interested in him after reading that Bowie and Eno were fascinated by his songs on the Walker Bros. reunion album Nite Flights. At the point that Eno offered to produce a new record for Scott Walker. But things didn't work as expected and I think Walker erased the tapes forever. Anyway that is the "different" music I like to listen to. There is an interesting doc about him on the tube (The Drift period); and I bought a book about him only few days ago, but didn't open it yet. Maybe it will shine a light on the failed collaboration with Eno.
FSOL: I bought Lifeforms in the 90s (mainly for the fact that Fripp was playing there) and it touched some chords. ISDN was on my radar and I am glad it was released as 2LP for this RSD. May try Dead Cities next.

As a RSD 2024 second thought I also took Blues Incorporated (Alexis Korner) live at BBC 62-65: a very good selection of mono tracks.

Best
Max (spin the black circle)
cybot

Post by cybot »

Brutus1968 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:50 pm

Best

Tilt was not a surprise: I already had the CD (now for sale) and I also have other works Walker has made after his "resurrection". I got first interested in him after reading that Bowie and Eno were fascinated by his songs on the Walker Bros. reunion album Nite Flights. At the point that Eno offered to produce a new record for Scott Walker. But things didn't work as expected and I think Walker erased the tapes forever. Anyway that is the "different" music I like to listen to. There is an interesting doc about him on the tube (The Drift period); and I bought a book about him only few days ago, but didn't open it yet. Maybe it will shine a light on the failed collaboration with Eno.
FSOL: I bought Lifeforms in the 90s (mainly for the fact that Fripp was playing there) and it touched some chords. ISDN was on my radar and I am glad it was released as 2LP for this RSD. May try Dead Cities next.

As a RSD 2024 second thought I also took Blues Incorporated (Alexis Korner) live at BBC 62-65: a very good selection of mono tracks.

Best
Thanks for filling in the gaps! I too have the CD plus original vinyl plus the double Lp version. Crazy about Scott from all his periods. The first four are truly majestic but his ‘experimental’ last journey is something to behold. ‘Clara’ never ceases to both amaze and frighten at the same time especially when the lights are low. Then you do a bit of research on the character and, well, it just completely turns everything inside out. Amazing man. I miss his presence and persistence. I also have a dvd about him too called Scott Walker 30th Century Man. I heard about the supposed Eno collaboration. What’s the book called? Oh I also hade Nite Flights but got rid of it which is so unlike me. Wasn’t it The Electrician that reviewers mentioned on the album?

Dead Cities is a very good next step. Features a young Max Richter. Double Lp too. Must dig it out as it’s ages since I heard it.

Finally you just can’t beat the BBC sound. Even in Mono.
Brutus1968

Post by Brutus1968 »

cybot wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:28 pm

Best
Thanks for filling in the gaps! I too have the CD plus original vinyl plus the double Lp version. Crazy about Scott from all his periods. The first four are truly majestic but his ‘experimental’ last journey is something to behold. ‘Clara’ never ceases to both amaze and frighten at the same time especially when the lights are low. Then you do a bit of research on the character and, well, it just completely turns everything inside out. Amazing man. I miss his presence and persistence. I also have a dvd about him too called Scott Walker 30th Century Man. I heard about the supposed Eno collaboration. What’s the book called? Oh I also hade Nite Flights but got rid of it which is so unlike me. Wasn’t it The Electrician that reviewers mentioned on the album?

Dead Cities is a very good next step. Features a young Max Richter. Double Lp too. Must dig it out as it’s ages since I heard it.

I think your DVD is the same doc I saw on the tube: I remember some scene recorded in the studio while staff were preparing a huge wooden box in order to satisfy Scott's idea of low kicking sound; and also a drummer using his fists against a cut of fresh meat to get the "right" sound.
Yes, it is Nite Flights that has The Electrician song, which Eno mentioned in his autobiography. I bought a reprinted version on vinyl a couple of years ago at Freebird Records in Dublin.
The book I bought is "No Regrets" https://www.amazon.com/dp/1409102734?ta ... th=1&psc=1

Best
Max (spin the black circle)
cybot

Post by cybot »

Brutus1968 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:03 pm
cybot wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:28 pm

Best

I think your DVD is the same doc I saw on the tube: I remember some scene recorded in the studio while staff were preparing a huge wooden box in order to satisfy Scott's idea of low kicking sound; and also a drummer using his fists against a cut of fresh meat to get the "right" sound.
Yes, it is Nite Flights that has The Electrician song, which Eno mentioned in his autobiography. I bought a reprinted version on vinyl a couple of years ago at Freebird Records in Dublin.
The book I bought is "No Regrets" https://www.amazon.com/dp/1409102734?ta ... th=1&psc=1

Best
Ah I know all those Wire interviews from the book. I have them all lol!

Anyway thanks for the heads up on all things Scott….
tweber

Post by tweber »

cybot wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:26 pm
tweber wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:29 pm
cybot wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:39 pm Thanks for that! Never realised…..
I know we can all be cynical about this but hopefully it was a good day for everyone involved and we all got what we wanted. My local shop went the extra mile as usual and had plenty of live music...Polly Barrett, Caoilean Sherlock, White Llama, Two time Polka, Hot House Flowers (unbelievebly) and a talk from Who associate Irish Jack. Was a great day and was all about the music which is important in the current climate...a real party Saturday!!
Glad you had a great Saturday Shane. I believe some of the shops opened at 8am.
One guy in the Queue ahead of me was there since 1.30am! He got his copy of Pearl Jam alright. Yeah Dermot 8am opening at my local (Music Zone)- very civilised and a great day all round tbh
cybot

Post by cybot »

1.30 am! God bless him, at least he got what he wanted.