B&O gear

Fran
Site Admin

B&O gear

Post by Fran »

I'm curious - has anyone here used much B&O gear? New or vintage, what was your impressions etc?

Over the past while I've received two pieces of B&O gear, a turntable and amp. The amp was basically working fine, but needed a bit of TLC. The turntable I have yet to sort out, but I sourced the parts needed, hopefully they fix it. The amp is a beolab 1700 (1974-1977), and the turntable is a beogram 1202 (1972-1975).

My own impression is that they are very stylish looking, you really have to give them credit for the design part. The insides are not bad either, they have used printed circuit boards etc when many others were still wiring point to point. Whether this was a chicken and egg thing - use of boards allowed them to get more creative, or the design made them take a new approach.... I don't think anyone knows.

It might be amusing, but I haven't actually listened to either of these yet - I've only listened as part of testing to the amp so far.

Pic credit to beocentral website.
Attachments
beogram1202.jpg
beogram1202.jpg (11.79 KiB) Viewed 305 times
beolab1700.jpg
beolab1700.jpg (36.58 KiB) Viewed 305 times
Do or do not, there is no try
Ivor

Re: B&O gear

Post by Ivor »

I've always had a lot of respect for B&O turntables and, outside if hifi, their televisions. As "lifestyle" electronics go they were lightyears ahead of BOSE etc.

It's a long time since I heard the B&O turntable a mates dad had but it impressed at the time - this was not the wall mounted vertical TT which struck me as a gimmick even then. Their amps I don't know but I imagine they're OK. Probably not up to standards we'd expect here but stylish and competent.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
asgaard

Post by asgaard »

I do have B&O active speakers and turntable Beogram 1600 which is need of service. I'm happy with a quality and design of the speakers.
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

The item I didn't mention was their cartridges. I have 2 of these, one of the MMC20 series and one MC6000 with the adapter to regular mounting. They are high output MC - with either an aluminium or sapphire cantilever depending on which of the series it is. Tip is called Pramanik on mine, which essentially is shibata.

Very nice cartridges, much underrated and at last check there are indeed places in the EU that retip to a very high standard (no need to mess with customs and shipping to USA to soundsmith).
Do or do not, there is no try
peelaaa

Post by peelaaa »

Only time I have had experience with this brand was on holiday last year. The apartment was fitted out with one of the tv's that swivels remotely and with large speakers built into it. It also had separate speakers either side. The tv quality was great and when it was turned off or on ,the picture appeared/disappeared behind an opening/closing curtain affect.
It also had a hifi with cd player. A clear plastic cover would smoothly retract when placing a cd.
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

You stay in better places than I do! ;-)
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2